• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transom Construction

carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Transom Construction

Post by carolmarie »

Does anyone know how the transom of a 28 TE (2001 vintage) is fabricated? I would like to mount a Magma grill bracket on it to accommodate the larger rectangular Magma (heavy) grill. The bracket is very sturdy but will generate a lot of torque at the point of attachment. I’m thinking I will have to through bolt it, with backing plate (inside the starboard locker), but would like to avoid it if at all possible.
Thanks for any feedback.
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Transom Construction

Post by jmfernan »

While I have a different model (1999 32+2) I would expect construction to be the same- my transom is solid fiberglass, no core. I've drilled in a couple of places (underwater lights and bait tank fitting) and it was solid in both. I would through bolt it with a backing plate as you suggest.
Joe
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Joe, thanks for your prompt reply. Don.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Joe --

The transom of our '95 28TE was cored. Probably a good idea to use a backing plate either way. I take it you don't want to use a rod holder mount. I know -- they're a compromise.

Nancy
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by jmfernan »

Well there you go. If cored you could consider drilling, decoring, epoxy filling, and tapping for machine screws if the backing plate isn't wanted. Goes without saying it needs to be decored no matter what the situation. FWIW I've had good service from the Magma rod holder mounts.
Joe
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

In the FWIW category - image of our grill (not sure if it's a large one) in rod holder. works well for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Thank you all for the inputs. We’ve been using the starboard rod holder for quite sometime. Works well, of course. But we got intrigued with the possibility of a stern mount like the Magma T10 and are exploring the possibilities. The arrangement would facilitate grilling from both the cockpit and swim platform and would not interfere with our full camper canvas as well.
After “tapping” the area we are considering to mount it, I believe the interior is not cored. The interior of the compartment is somewhat flimsy and the space behind it is hollow. The outside of the stern is definitely more solid/stable and thicker but it too does not seem to be cored/ fortified in any way.
Providing a solid surface to mount the bracket will be a challenge and I believe involve cutting a whole in the stern compartment wall and reinforcing with starboard, etc.
Not sure it’s a sensible/practical endeavor 😊. Don.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Don -- it does sound like a lot of work for a few steaks. 😂 Sometimes I have to remind myself that improvising while boating is part of the fun. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by carolmarie »

Point well taken Nancy. 😊
Don.
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

carolmarie wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:35 am Thank you all for the inputs. We’ve been using the starboard rod holder for quite sometime. Works well, of course. But we got intrigued with the possibility of a stern mount like the Magma T10 and are exploring the possibilities. The arrangement would facilitate grilling from both the cockpit and swim platform and would not interfere with our full camper canvas as well.
After “tapping” the area we are considering to mount it, I believe the interior is not cored. The interior of the compartment is somewhat flimsy and the space behind it is hollow. The outside of the stern is definitely more solid/stable and thicker but it too does not seem to be cored/ fortified in any way.
Providing a solid surface to mount the bracket will be a challenge and I believe involve cutting a whole in the stern compartment wall and reinforcing with starboard, etc.
Not sure it’s a sensible/practical endeavor 😊. Don.
Ah OK - understand WRT the full camper. You likely already have seen this, but I have seen some newer express cruisers with pedestal mounted grills on the swim platform. Removable. So you just need to install one of those bases.

Good luck with the project - on the construction side, I have noticed the transom below the waterline does not seem to be cored. I am dealing with blisters and taking the gelcoat off now and the fiberglass is translucent when looking at it from the interior.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”