• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How much HP to plane an Albin 28 TE

don602
Mate
Mate

How much HP to plane an Albin 28 TE

Post by don602 »

I now I will have a slow boat- but will a Cummins 6TA 210 HP plane the boat.
I know one member has this config- but I could not find him via a search.
My Peninsular blew at 1000 hours. The Cummins 210 with a new trans is
16K.
I'm in South Florida- any input is welcome.

Don
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Plane a 28

Post by joe.baar »

If the actual LWL of a 28 is 24 feet then any engine and prop combo that will drive it faster than 6.56 knots will cause it to plane. I would imagine a Cummins having more than 200 bhp would do that. My Yanmar 6LP has 315 bhp and it drives the boat about 15.7 knots at the "most efficient" engine speed of 3,200 rpm.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Define "blew". Have you looked at rebuilding it? Most marine diesels are engineered to last through multiple rebuilds. The commercial guys run them ragged and actually consider rebuilds regular, preventative maintenance.
don602
Mate
Mate

Blew

Post by don602 »

Hi Mariner,
By blew I mean- at 1000 hours, the heads cracked- the valves broke- scored the cyclinders- and valve parts made their way to the turbo.
I got a new rebuilt block, new turbo -starter - flywheel-
But I want a Cummins- the 210 is "bullet proof"

Gotta go
dinners ready
bye
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Wow. That is the definition of a "catastrophic failure". Any idea how it happened?
don602
Mate
Mate

GM diesel

Post by don602 »

I think the GM Diesel is not very durable. For years I was very easy one the engine- but when I started swordfishing 20 miles our at 3000rpm
for 2 hours- the heads are programed to crack at 800+ hours.
Anyone with this engine- consider putting a new set of heads on at 500 hours.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: GM diesel

Post by jcollins »

don602 wrote:I think the GM Diesel is not very durable. For years I was very easy one the engine- but when I started swordfishing 20 miles our at 3000rpm
I'm gonna get some popcorn and follow the rest of this thread. :P
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: GM diesel

Post by Mariner »

don602 wrote:I think the GM Diesel is not very durable. For years I was very easy one the engine- but when I started swordfishing 20 miles our at 3000rpm
I think replacing the heads every 500 hours is a big overkill, especially since I'd be willing to bet their are numerous members right here on this site that have seen their Peninsulars last well beyond that. Lets have a little poll and find out. What do you say?
msparks378

trouble free

Post by msparks378 »

My Pennisular has been trouble free from Day 1 - well over 1000 hours.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have a 1994 Peninsular with just about 700 hours and it runs just fine. After I read this thread I called Peninsular to see if there was any hint of a problem with that year engine. He said they do not ship many heads out at all and he has not heard of any problems. I am going to send him the serial number of my engine and he was going to check their records for past problems but has found none so far. A cracked head can be caused by many different things, just to mention a few, a faulty or clogged injector, a cooling system problem, a clogged air filter, a faulty turbo, a leaking head or intake gasket.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

As I mentioned in a prior thread, last year I was considering a 1998 28TE with the Peninsular. I gave the s/n to Matt at Peninsular Engines and learned it was manufactured Oct 2nd 1997. He explained that from 1996-1998 the GM block was drilled slightly out of spec and has resulted in a few cases of cracked blocks. In most cases this was the result of running the engine too hard, overloaded, too high an RPM, etc. It's too old of an engine to have GM offer a credit of any type at this point. Some have gone as far as 800-900 hrs before having the problem, some sooner, etc., most likely a result of how it was ran. They have seen 8-10 cracked blocks in this era during which about 100 engines were built. Matt never mentioned anything about the heads nor do I remember hearing anything or reading anything on boatdiesel.com.

I did not end up buying this boat, or one with the Peninsular, so I cannot comment any further on the engine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”