• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cleaning and waxing

Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Cleaning and waxing

Post by Saltdog »

Can anybody give me some ideas on what kind of wax to use? Should I consider a mild rubbing compound or cleaner first? What about the non-skid surfaces (does anybody wax those outside of the cockpit?)?

I have stored my boat in a covered slip all winter, and the spiders seem to be constantly defacating on the hull (they live in the rafters above). This spider poop seems to permanate the gelcoat and I think that a good wax job might help. Since they seem to aim at the non-skid surfaces as well, I am thinking about waxing them as well (not in the cockpit of course).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
><{{{*>
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

There is a new boat soap that has a wax & another just for non-skid that also contains a wax made by Starbrite. Here is a link I found after I did some looking.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=147

It works well, but you will see teh wax build-up on your stainless if you slop it around, or after agressive rinsing. I got mine at Walmart.

--Dave
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I did not realize that spiders defacated. Have you considered having the spiders killed by a pest control company?

Anyway, my suggestion for wax is to use 3M Cleaner Wax followed by their regular hard wax product. Apply with a mechanical buffer, remove by hand. This, after using any simple boat soap with water and a long-handled brush.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

My polishing steps are -

(a) Wash boat. There is a Mary Kate product called "Details" that works really well at getting off fish guts and other debris from our fishing excursions. I'm betting it would do a great job on spider sh#t.
(b) Mequiar's Medium Cut cleaner (only if you have some heavy oxidized areas). I use a polisher at around 2000 RPM. Use Fine Cut Cleaner for areas not requiring the medium cut. Keep the polisher moving, holding in one place can damage the gel coat.
(c) Mequiar's swirl remover to get rid of any marks left from the polisher
(d) Hand apply and remove Collinite 885 Fleetwax. Just like Mr. Miyagi ("Karate Kid") says "Wax on wax off." I have tried other waxes but the Collinite lasts the entire season and helps keep the compounding to a minimum.

I have used Woody Wax on the non-skid areas but it was too slippery for my liking. Don't use regular wax on the non-skid or you'll be spending some time on your rear end.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Saltdog,
I really like the advice given so far. Especially that recommending Collinite 885. But, I must confess, although I have been a loyal Collinite user for a dozen years, I've ventured away to try 3M's new "Scotchguard Boat Wax" with UV inhibitors. Having a flag blue hull, she can dull out rather quickly, and I have no idea what the previous owner "really used".
I suspect that he used Starbright "teflon" wax, due to the empty bottle found under the sink area.
Thus far: 3m super duty compound with a random orbital buffer, No go.
Switched to a 9" Industrial Buffer.....Oh Yeah!! That 's the ticket! Followed by 3M Finesse-it II, and then the 3M wax. The wax went on SO NICE, that 2-3 coats will be no problem. Man, she looks so deep blue, it's awesome. Those UV inhibitors BETTER WORK!
The spider defication: How about spraying the rafters with a soap solution every two weeks until the spiders are "controlled". (I had the same problem on a porch a few years ago. the soap dislodges them and washes the little bast#$%s away, and then just keep the population down to a minimum. (They also hate Grey Goose or Ketel One vodka sprayed on them too, but I find that the soap works OK)
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

Grey Goose or Ketel One vodka are way too good for those spiders. I am thinking of buying a couple of canisters of spider bombs and then taping them to a pole and let them spray as I move them around the rafters.

We will see. Thanks for the help on the wax products
><{{{*>
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I feel the same way about Grey Goose and Ketel 1 :)
That's why I'd use the soap solution on the spiders.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”