• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gig Harbor, WA Blessing of the fleet (Many Pics; 56k avoid)

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gig Harbor, WA Blessing of the fleet (Many Pics; 56k avoid)

Post by Mariner »

Last Sunday was the traditional Catholic blessing of the fleet in our homeport of Gig Harbor, WA. Basically, they have mass up in the church, then there is a procession down to the city dock, and the priest gets into a little boat, and goes out and blesses the fishing fleet which is waiting in the harbor. In recent years, this has been extended to include pleasureboats as well, but the fishermen still throw the biggest party.

These pictures were taken more with my Boston Whaler friends in mind, so forgive me for taking more pictures of the Whaler than the Albin. In fact, I think there's only one of Nordvika. But still, I thought I'd share with you guys, since it's an interesting event that I really enjoy.

The Whaler at the marina dock.

Down at the city dock, there is a classic wooden boat show and I sneak in at the head of the dock. I'm amazed when I return to the boat to see a group of people admiring my little classic Whaler. I guess they thought it was part of the show!

In this picture you can see the fishing fleet rafted in the center of the harbor. To the right is one of many historic net sheds that line the harbor. This one has been restored and is part of a city park. Some are still used by fishing families to store equipment and dry nets. Many have been converted to accessory buildings for waterfront homes or condos. We have one that is divided up into stoage units for marina tenants and owners.

The fleet is just starting to congregate.

The raft is growing

I've seen the Beryl E a hundred times, but it wasn't until last sunday that I picked up on the play on words.

There is a little street fair event at the city park (technically two parks side by side, named Jersich and Skansie, after historic fishing families in the community; the Skansies were the ones who had the blue net shed).

I thought this little sailing/rowing dinghy was interesting. That carving looked like it weighed more than the boat. It seemed to float level, but I wonder what it's static trim would be without the passenger in the stern.

One of the fishing boats actually had a live band on board for the event that was doing covers of classic rock songs. They were certainly having a good time. Judging by the amount of alcohol on those boats (I saw at least one keg), I'm guessing none of them were actually going fishing the next day.

The procession has arrived at the dock. This year is special because the Seattle Archbishop was performing the blessing. With him came a whole slew of church officials in their ceremonial garb.

There's the new barbecue.

I couldn't believe they made the archbishop ride around they bay in an old Bayliner.

This picture was taken just moments after he blessed the Nordvika. For the record, it is not normal for the registration stickers to be lined up like that. It's just something that Bayliner owners seem to do. For all his zeal in displaying the consecutive registration numbers, he's still not legal, as his actual registration numbers are unreadable! AND his fenders are hanging out! My goodness.

Some Yacht Club officials and the Knights of Columbus...in a pontoon boat. I just couldn't believe it.

More KoC, and a reporter from the local paper.

The alter boys/girls. I wonder why the boat with the alter boys and girls was the only one with a cabin? Could it be that they needed to conceal something.......

On the right here, you can just barely see a portion of the lifting crane.

When this boat came into the harbor, you pretty much had to cover your ears. Even sitting at idle, his exhaust was deafening.

The raft is breaking up and some of the boats are heading back to the dock. Some will stay out and party all night.

My recently restored Whaler. I'm kind of proud of it, if you can't tell.

And finally, an actual picture of our boat.

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mariner,
Great pictures and narration. Thanks for contributing!
The Whaler looks great!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Good story, excellent pictures! That sure is an impressive site seeing all those big fishing boats lined up together.

Return to “Cruising”