• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

RADAR INSTALLATION ON ALBIN 36

TomCat

RADAR INSTALLATION ON ALBIN 36

Post by TomCat »

:) I will close (I hope) on the Salty Lady on Friday, she is a 1983 Albin 36! I want to install radar before I begin the long trip home which will be approximately 900 miles. The mast is the obvious place to install the antenna but my question is how difficult it the routing of the cable from the antenna to the radar unit on the console of the bridge?

Any suggestions reguarding installing radar on the model boat would be greatly appreciated!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

TomCat,
Welcome to the board. I am not a 36 owner but just wanted to say hello. Perhaps some of our more experienced members will jump in.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Re: RADAR INTALLATION ON ALBIN 36

Post by seblyte »

Hi, did you ever get a reply to your radar question?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: RADAR INSTALLATION ON ALBIN 36

Post by jleonard »

did you ever get a reply to your radar question
I have no idea if he did, but routing the cable was not a big deal for me on my 40. I wen to the base of the mast, then under the bridge overhang on the starboard side and thru a hole already there. I had to drill and file the hole open to allow the connector to pass thru. Then under the console to the center of the "dash" as mine is mounted so my first mate can monitor during fog.

I probably have a pic somewhere that might let you see what I am talking about...e mail me at jleonard@usa.norgren.com if interested.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Re: RADAR INSTALLATION ON ALBIN 36

Post by seblyte »

Hi, I have just bought some navigation gear for my Albin 36 1983. It has an existing radar but this is now obselete. I have rigged the boat with a Raymarine 435i chartplotter on the flybridge and a Raymarine C120 on the lower helm. The radar dome is an 18" 2k fitted to the mast and you can run the cable down through the mast and into the cabin where it is literally a plug and play. This is sufficient for my cruising needs which tends to be no more than 60 miles off shore. I would not be on the upper helm at night or during fog. The combination seems to work a treat.

Return to “36/37/40/43”