• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member, Still in the Market, Engine Decisions...

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

New Member, Still in the Market, Engine Decisions...

Post by RobS »

Hello all, new member here. Been actively looking at 28TE’s for a few months now. Looked at boats $55K up to $100K, both Yanmar & Peninsular powered boats. Can’t really decide if the extra $20K or so is worth it for the Yanmar if both buys are for low hour well maintained boats? I’ve read quite a few posts and the Peninsular seems to be pretty accepted in this group. Is the newer non-GM Peninsular the preferred one as opposed to the older GM block, I believe there were some changes around 1999? Any feedback is appreciated - Thanks in advance!
Last edited by RobS on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to the board. I am one of those owners that has the infamous Peninsular engine. From personal experience I can tell you that most of the stories about these engines are just that. Stories. There are a few of us around here that have the Peninsular and none of us have had major problems. There can be problems with any engine. If you take care of it, it will last. Yanmar, Peninsular, any of them. I should also say the extra 20k will make a difference if you are only going to keep the boat for a couple of years and then trade up. The resale value of the Yanmar will be better. If you plan on keeping the boat for a long time, then it really won't matter. There is a class action suit for the Yanmar. Check in the maintenance section for information about that. From what I have read the Yanmar is not as loud as the Peninsular.

Others that are more experienced than I will chime in with thier thoughts.
Once again, welcome to the board and no matter what engine you end up with you will love this boat. I see your from N.Y. We have a few members up your way.

What is your present boat?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I have 21 Pursuit Dual Console w/150 Yamaha. Been all over eastern LI with it, CT River, Mystic, etc. Want to go to something the wife and 2 girls (ages 5&7) and I can spend the nights on. We also do a good amount of fishing and quite a bit of scuba diving. I’ve always liked the Albin 28 and it’s now finally the right time to own one. I spoke with Matt at Peninsular Engines, he advised that 1996, 97 & 98 blocks had an issue with the drilling at GM and can crack, although most don’t, he wanted to bring that to my attention. I’m actually looking at a 98 now so I will get the serial # from the engine and provide it to him. We had a good conversation, very informative. What year eng do you have?
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

peninsular

Post by Legacy »

Hi there. I sold my 1994 28 with the Peninsular engine this past winter. After more than 2000 hours, I did not have any major problems. A few things to watch - - pencil zincs in the coolant reservoir need to be changed religiously 2-3X per year. They may have since changed the design. I also had some starting issues that were solved with the addition of a glow plug heater/timing switch. Then she started up like a charm. Besides routine maintenance, I did update the injectors, all the seals, hoses and gaskets before selling her. But as a whole, very reliable engine and great boat. Resale vale was less for my boat due to Peninsular reputation that seems greatly exaggerated. I enjoyed the boat so much I bought another Albin.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote: What year eng do you have?
Rob,
I have a 95 with 840 hrs.

Legacy - A newbie question for you. How do I get to the pencil zincs you mention. I have not checked mine in 200 hrs.
John
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:
RobS wrote: What year eng do you have?
Rob,
I have a 95 with 840 hrs.

Legacy - A newbie question for you. How do I get to the pencil zincs you mention. I have not checked mine in 200 hrs.
Hey John,

Are you sure you qualify as a newbie? :wink:

Here's a picture of my 1997 "Beast" with the zinc highlighted. As far as I can tell it's the only one. I replace it in the Spring and I just replaced it again at the end of August. It probably would have lasted the rest of the season but I'm all for "better safe than sorry"

The zinc is a standard item at most marine stores. I bought mine at West Marine, I think it was around $20+
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Are you sure you qualify as a newbie?
Well, not really, :lol: :lol: but it's easier to ask you guys than get out the manual.
John
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

RobS, I bought my 2001 28te earlier this year. I was in the same spot as you, I saw some good used before year 2000's with the GM engine. I was even told that I can get a 28 cheaper because of that. The wife and I had gone as far as Maine to look for boats and we had several test rides. I was going crazy trying to figure out what to do.
The answer for us was in the exhaust smell. This is only from my experiences, but we seemed to notice more of an exhaust smell (and smoke) from the GMs. They were also a bit louder. The wife said she would get a headache from the diesel smell (your not going to get away from that 100% no matter what engine you get).
I have used my Yanmar for this season and found it a great engine, but parts are expensive ! I dont know if its so bad for a GM.

If I can answer any questions feel free to ask, I am down in Sayville (right around the corner from White Water Marine) and I know you have been there if your looking at Albins :wink:

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Robs,
Read through posts about handling, docking, etc. Going from an outboard to a single inboard will be a whole new learing experience.
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I have a 94 28TE with the Peninsular engine, and I am finishing up my third summer with her. The engine runs great, is great on fuel and is very easy to do regular maintenance on. It starts right up, there is no smoke or residue on the hull after a run and there is no smell that I or my wife can detect while running. As John said, if you take care of your engine it will take care of you. Don't be fooled by the screamers out there, I can't speak for any other engine but the Peninsular is fine. Denis :)
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I agree, if you take good care of the engine, it should take care of you. With that said, the only issue I've found with any used boat is how well the previous owner took care of it. When I was looking at Albins, I found lots of boats with poor records or worse no records regarding maintenance and service. I'd be leery of any boat regardless of engine brand that didn't have good records on it. Obviously new boats aren't that much of a concern but the salt water marine environment really takes a toll on every system you have. I have the Yanmar and the older models of the 6lp need to have a valve kit installed or you run the risk of dropping a valve into the engine. As far as I know you can get that done thru your local Yanmar Service Center and your Yanmar Distributor. For me that was Mack Boring. The total out of pocket cost to me was $35.00. Other than that, I love the Yanmar. Runs great, quieter but not that much. Parts are high, fuel effeciency is high, parts are high and if I didn't mention it parts are high.

If you have any questions, this board is a great place to start. You can also find lots of good information at boatdiesel.com and at thehulltruth.com
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Thanks for all the feedback.

One of the 28’s I am looking at is a 1998. I gave the engine s/n to Peninsular Engines and it was manufactured Oct 2nd 1997 (10 yrs almost to the day). They explained that from 1996-1998 the GM block was drilled slightly out of spec and has resulted in a few cases of cracked blocks. In most cases this was the result of running the engine too hard, overloaded, too high an RPM, etc. It's too old of an engine to have GM offer a credit of any type at this point. Some have gone as far as 800-900 hrs before having the problem, some sooner, etc., most likely a result of how it was ran.

They have estimate to have seen 8-10 cracked blocks in this era during which about 100 engines were built.

There is no repair to the cracked block if it occurs. If this occurs a new long block is approx. $6,500 and, if you ship the damaged engine to them, for a total of approx. $9,000 they will swap all components over to the new long block, run it on the dyno, paint it, etc. and send it back to be installed. Or a new Peninsular complete is $15,000. Obviously this does not include the cost to pull the engine and install the new one or any other work to the gauges, bilge, etc.

With low hours on an excellent condition boat I would see no reason to believe it was abused in any way.

I’m willing to go Peninsular or Yanmar, at the proper prices of course. However, my bigger obstacle is that I am limiting myself to a boat with the walk-thru transom door. This is cutting out a few real nice boats. I would like Heat/AC, transom shower and dockside water but the transom door is a must with all the scuba diving we do.

I’m looking at the one listed on Yachtworld in Union Springs, NY in a few days as I will be in that area for the holiday weekend. Transporting to LI was quoted to me at approx. $2,200. from a recommended hauler so I will have to factor this into the negotiations. The boat was really not used at all this summer and I would not feel comfortable running it home down the Hudson, etc.

I also have a fiberglass expert pricing out installing the door in case I can get a real good deal on one without the walk-thru transom. He is getting the pricing of the parts kit from an Albin dealer. Chances are this will not be cost effective but want to be thorough in my explorations.

And the search goes on…
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Go slow...and I know how hard that is. I looked for a solid year for a Albin that I could get most of what I wanted and within my price range. After looking all over the east coast, I finally found the exact boat I wanted with all the amenities I wanted for about $3000.00 more than I wanted to pay. After negotiations we finally came to an agreement. I am elated that I waited and got all that I wanted.....had I taken several boats without those things I think I would have regreted it. Adding things like showers, doors, AC/Heat can be a overwhelming project and very costly.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

chiefrcd wrote:Go slow...and I know how hard that is.
Take your time. I had to kiss quite a few toads and increase my budget before I found my Albin. I visited all the New England states before I found what I was looking for.

And just to mix it up, maybe you'll even find a "Cummins :lol:" .
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

Rob, How about a 31TE with a Cummins? Mine is for sale and without a broker it is just over your price range. See my ad at viewtopic.php?t=593

Return to “New Member Introductions”