• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hard Enclosure for Wheelhouse on 28TE ***Photos Added***

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Hard Enclosure for Wheelhouse on 28TE ***Photos Added***

Post by RobS »

I'm still in the market and looking at as many 28TE's as I can. Looked at quite a few boats between FL and RI and in between. It's a true buyer's market which you would think would make it easier to shop, just the opposite, there is quite a few nice boats available, some sellers more willing to drop price than others, and even though you can negotiate prices down to really good buys you constantly think that an even better buy is just around the corner and there's no feeling of having to close a deal because there really is no one lined up behind you to steal it.

Anyway, that was a sidebar, this is my question: I'm looking at a 2002 that has the hard enclosure at the back of the wheelhouse. It really changes the feel of the boat, especially from the cockpit. She's equiped with a Generator as well as Heat & Air, The Seller advises that the Heat & Air will change the Pilot House temperature with the cabin door open and back door closed.

I have looked at so, so, many 28's, in person and pictures and I've seen only one other with the hard encl. Is that because it was expensive or not desirable? I think it would have it's advantages but I'm thinking I would not like this. Although I do boat in April, May, Nov & Dec I'm just thinking that it's not for me but I'm not sure. Just looking for some opinions on it. Thanks in advance guys... BTW, I have a picture of it but don't have an accessible place to store it. Suppose I could email to someone willing to post it. Thanks Again!
Last edited by RobS on Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Hard Enclosure for Wheelhouse on 28TE

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote: I have looked at so, so, many 28's, in person and pictures and I've seen only one other with the hard encl. Is that because it was expensive or not desirable? I think it would have it's advantages but I'm thinking I would not like this. Although I do boat in April, May, Nov & Dec I'm just thinking that it's not for me but I'm not sure. Just looking for some opinions on it. Thanks in advance guys... BTW, I have a picture of it but don't have an accessible place to store it. Suppose I could email to someone willing to post it. Thanks Again!
Robs,
Interesting question. I'm also interested in some of the answers you may get. Opinioins are like...well you know. I don't have a hard enclosure. I have the Albin convertible. I was lucky to find one as there just aren't many out there. I do have a canvas enclosure that I put up when the weather starts to change. This year I waited until October since it's been so mild. I don't have heat or AC. Today was in the 40s with 10-20 knot winds. The temp in my canvas pilot house was probably 60 with no wind. Not uncomfortable at all. That's my preference. I would think the hard enclosure your talking about is not a inexpensive option but as you mentioned it may not be for everyone either. If your first impression is that it's not for you, go with your gut. As you mentioned there are quite a few 28s on the market. I would add that if you find one in bristol condition don't expect a "deal". The resale on these boats is not what you find in the typical family cruiser market. They hold their value beyond what the book says. If your financing you will find out what I mean.

By the way, there are instructions how to post pictures in the pictures forum. If your stuck, just ask. One of our memberw will jump in to lend a hand.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Rob, good luck in finding the right boat, I looked at lots until I found the one I wanted.
I came from a Steigercraft pilothouse (back door you could close to the weather). When I bought the 28, it did not even come with a rear drop curtain (most did). The former owner said he had no reason to have it as the 3 sides gave enough protection. I figured I would put one on right away, well I went all summer without it and just now thinking about putting the rear curtain in. 2 reasons for the rear curtain for me would #1) be able to leave the cabin door open overnight for more airflow (I plan on having a screen in at least one window) #2)To keep the inside of the pilothouse cleaner when at the slip.
I know you are asking about a hard back, but I am mentioning about my "lack" of even using the curtain. I guess if your going to do mostly cruising it could add room to the cabin, on the other hand take away elsewhere. There are always trade offs. Try to figure out what you are planning to do with the boat and then see how that option works for you.

Good luck!

Matt
Sayville NY
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The openess without the hard enclosure is the way I will go. These pics show just how much more user friendly the cockpit to helm areas are and how restrictive the hard enclousure could be. John - Thanks for the the photobucket tip!

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Up here, where boating is year-round, but winter is still cold and wet, the Alaskan Bulkhead is a must. I've never seen one up here without it, either in person or for sale.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Here's mine

John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Hey Rob, that second photo looks like my boat, same helm chairs, gel-coat color and all. When I bought PITOU as a 2 year old trade to Stanish Boat Yard I did not want the Alaskan Bulkhead that was on the boat and asked to have it removed. I thought I would want the freedom and flexibility of a canvas enclosure. Standish suggested I use it for 1 season, which I took their advice and am I ever so grateful for that advice. Jumping over that engine box for a tight line is no big deal and the added security, protection from weather and snotty seas coming over the hardtop is tremendous. I wouldn't let the enclosure deter you.
As far as the Air Conditioning pumping up from below, not bad, not great. This off season I plan to install a Y to vent a second outlet directly to the wheelhouse. As far as the genset, I have one, be sure to add a vented loop for the saltwater exhaust intake if their is not one already as the genset sits below the waterline and the head (single cylinder can be damaged) / I learned the hard way. The water fills to the exhaust elbow and gets into the exhaust valve causing corrossion. The vented loop will prevent this problem. I spoke to Entec West, the Entec Generator distributor in the US & Canada, and they said they advised Albin to do this in the 28 and this was not done and many a 28 owner has called them with hard start problems developed from this installation oversight. A $ 500 dollar fix to me to install the loop and re-build the head. Not bad as far as boating is concerned, but preventable.

Best of luck in your quest for that new Albin.
Last edited by Pitou on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
furthur69

Albin 28 TE Hard Enclosure

Post by furthur69 »

I have a 2001 28 TE with a Hard Enclosure which I specifically wanted. It completely changes the boat for the better. Admittedly, I live in the Pacific Northwest but if you have family - its safer, warmer, and just adds a sense of safety that isn't present with soft canvas.
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Hard enclosure (Alaska Bulkhead)

Post by Saltdog »

I have the Bulkhead and I think I like is a lot. You did not mention if you have a motor box or not, but the Bulkhead makes for a narrow passageway between the box going in and out of the cabin. Another disadvantage is that the companion seat cannot turn around and face backward. Those are the only disadvantages I see.

The advantages are that it is warmer in the cold weather here in the NW. It allows me lock up the cabin, which I am sure makes my instruments a lot safer. It also makes running the boat a lot quieter.

When I purchased the boat, I thought I did not want the bulkhead. It is not a huge deal to remove it by the way. I decided to leave it in for my first year with the boat, and now I am pretty sure I will keep it for the advantages I have mentioned.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”