• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust renovation- no more Elastomuffle

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Exhaust renovation- no more Elastomuffle

Post by tribologist »

Another Elastomuffle victim?
Post was only up for a little while so i don’t have more than whats in it ” exhaust sprung a leak…” sounds like an Elastomuffle to me…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

WHOA!! That's ugly! What's the translation of the posting text say (my Swedish is a little rusty)? At least it doesn't look like a total loss as they were able to beach in time & only flood the aft cabin & not the rest of the boat or sink completely. Looks like having a diver plug the exhaust outlet & pump the hull out to refloat & tow back to port of launch ramp would be relatively easy. Where are you now, still on your cruise or back home? Good thing you're not in Nova Scotia, massive flooding, 3 months worth of normal rainfall in 3 days, something on the order of 200mm, or 8+ inches. Gee whiz, I thought our last night on Lake Onondaga in '21 was bad. Crazy weather! Out here in the desert SW we've had record busting temps hitting up to 119 deg F (48 C for our Canadian friends) almost every day since the beginning of July with overnight lows close to or above 90. Your little A/C unit wouldn't put a dent in that. Even our swimming pool water is up to 90 F. This is supposed to be the start of our seasonal "monsoon" summer rainy season. A "rainy season" being being relative, the average Phoenix monsoon July rainfall is 0.83 inches, and the all time record is 6.47 inches in 1911. We've been in a prolonged drought for the past 20 years, so lately the averages have been much less than the 0.83" norm.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/23/americas ... index.html

Our boat does not have an Elastomuffler, but has a fiberglass Vernalift muffler with a 1992 date of manufacture label. No hint of trouble in the past 9 years of ownership. Also has a ball shutoff valve under the port aft quarter berth.
DSCN3408.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Canal system has been ok this year. No closure. It closed for over a week not long after you were there. The guys we met in Lyons the same day as you turned around was stuck behind a floodgate in their wanderer. 10kbtu does pretty good in that little cabin. At most i get 25% duty cycle when over 90F outside. The Cetec Vernalift is probably a forever muffler. Hoses are not…. The sad thing is that boat sank Friday and on Sunday an other A25 found it and took these pictures…
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Lucky they weren't caught out miles from shore without a dinghy for a lifeboat or other boats nearby for rescue.

Reminds me of our 2016 near miss when our prop got fouled by the dinghy's painter when a rogue wave caught the dink & ripped it off the Weaver snap davits and we could have drifted onto those rocks in the background had a good Samaritan not come by and given us a tow.
20160711_091513-1-1.jpg

Slightly OT, Shatoosh, a west coast A25 made famous by Hira Reid's blog, is now listed for sale at a brokerage in Olympia, WA, priced at $24,500 including trailer and Walker Bay 8 ft rotomolded plastic dinghy. It has a wood spoked traditional steering wheel exactly like the one in that sunken A25. I wonder if those were something available as an option or accessory direct from Albin Marin?

http://shatooshandpashmina.blogspot.com/
8940613_20230707141538004_1_XLARGE.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Steve, you are getting ahead… just saw this.. she is on her way back now
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”