• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New water heater

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mystic

New water heater

Post by DownEast2 »

I am going to install a new electric water heater, but as I started to disconnect the old one today and found out that there are two of the mounting screws behind the unit up against the hull. There are several hoses and wires also running along behind the tank, I can barely even see one of the two screws let alone get a screw driver on it. It was obviously installed before the pilot house was installed.
Have any members replaced that heater and do you have any ideas?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: New water heater

Post by tego »

Let us know what engine and year of your boat. The different engines leave different access to the heater. My '87FC has the Nissan in it and it's a bear to get to the mounting screws also but I removed my battery bank and got down in there alongside the engine and was able to reach the screws to move the heater forward a little and resecure it. I have the round Attwood heater. When I was done, I needed my hot jacuzzi to limber up my 80yo bones though! If I was going to replace my heater, I'd probably go with one of the square ones though. It'd give me more room for a slightly larger holding tank. Ben
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

There are many different Albin boats and many different water heaters. Post some pics and particulars........
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

Thanks everyone but I was able to contort myself enough to get into position and take a very long screw driver behind the unit to loosen it.
I'm doing some research now to see if I should install a new heater of the same style a 6 gallon Kuuma electric or possibly one of the instant heaters on the market.
I have a 2001 28" TE with the 300hp Yanmar
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Instant heaters don't have tanks, right? If you install one of those, unless you have a generator, you'll never have hot water when underway. A 6-gallon tank holds heat for a long time, and most of the original tanks have a heat exchanger to heat the water from the engine cooling system - a favorite feature of mine.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

Nancy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:17 pm Instant heaters don't have tanks, right? If you install one of those, unless you have a generator, you'll never have hot water when underway. A 6-gallon tank holds heat for a long time, and most of the original tanks have a heat exchanger to heat the water from the engine cooling system - a favorite feature of mine.
I am with Nancy on this one, you are going to want to have that reserve hot water and the ability to heat it with the engine. Plus it stays warm for quite a long time even with the engine off
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

I just picked up a new 6 gallon water heater from Defender. It should pipe up the same way and it has the heat exchanger connections for the engine. I am going to mount the new one in a little differently so that I can access the mounting screws easier.
My repair list is pretty long but one at a time I will tackle the issues on this 20 year old boat.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

You're lucky to be near Defender! You made the right decision, and hopefully the project will be plug and play.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DownEast2
First Mate
First Mate

Post by DownEast2 »

I will be mounting the new heater on a piece of painted marine plywood to make it easier to work on it in the future. I also gives me a platform to mount the macerator which was lacking as it was. Its a little puzzling why they used 15 mm pipe and fittings for the water lines rather than 1/2" pex. It makes finding fittings and pipe much more difficult.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It makes finding fittings and pipe much more difficult.
If you include "Whale" in your searches it isn't too bad. But yes, my current boat is all 1/2" tygon tubing and hose barbs, way easier and cheaper to deal with.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

15mm pipe is half inch. It is here in the U.K. anyway as 15mm is the outside diameter because it’s pipe and not tube the bore is then 1/2”.

Pipe is measured from its bore, tube is measured from its outside diameter.

You’ll find any push fit from a plumbing supplier will fit whether it’s copper or plastic. John Guest is the brand name here, pretty sure it’s international to give you some idea.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”