• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hydraulic steering slipping?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Hydraulic steering slipping?

Post by Jkraft »

Hydraulic steering question/ opinion needed - I know what air in the line normally feels like, wheel gets jumpy feeling and steering feels light.

This weekend I experienced something similar but different. Steering feels light however it’s not jumpy, but if you turn it hard to port until it stops, you can wait a few seconds and then you can get a couple more turns out of the wheel. And you can do that over and over. From memory I think it did it on starboard turns also. The more I turned the better and stiffer the steering got, like it was purging the air out.

One thing that I did on my way out the last couple of times is plot my course, engage the AP, put boat in neutral, and then went and pulled my fenders in. I’m not sure if my AP was just sitting there working to try to turn the boat and over pressurized something but I did notice the AP fittings are a tad wet with steering fluid. I cleaned that up and couldn’t replicate any fluid seeping afterward.

Any thoughts?
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Hydraulic steering slipping?

Post by Tree »

Mine does the same. There has also been the very rare occasion the wheel just spun with no resistance. Also happened on my buddy’s 2000 and 2005 boat. Turn the wheel the opposite way and it sorts itself out. I can only think it’s check valve in the steering pump that does it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Tree wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:47 pm Mine does the same. There has also been the very rare occasion the wheel just spun with no resistance. Also happened on my buddy’s 2000 and 2005 boat. Turn the wheel the opposite way and it sorts itself out. I can only think it’s check valve in the steering pump that does it.
Sweet thanks! The more I work it the more pressure it’s building. Going to try to top it off on fluid and keep my eye on it
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I had something similar with a minor hose weep at one of the nut connections at the cylinder and finally replace the compression nut and bled the system. All systems go now for the past 4 years.
SeaStar Tube Nut: HF5526

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/product ... ngs/#other
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

Pitou wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:51 pm I had something similar with a minor hose weep at one of the nut connections at the cylinder and finally replace the compression nut and bled the system. All systems go now for the past 4 years.
SeaStar Tube Nut: HF5526

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/product ... ngs/#other
Thanks Kevin!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:

Return to “Albin Maintenance”