• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE-28 Bolsters on cockpit sides and transom

Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

TE-28 Bolsters on cockpit sides and transom

Post by Yearwood »

We need to redo the bolsters and have a couple of questions:
- Has anyone found a better way of attaching them
- A better way of making them
- Finnally has anyone used a shop in the Annapolis area for this with success.

Thanks

Don
Don
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bolsters

Post by RicM »

You didn't mention what year your boat is or how, exactly, your current bolsters are attached. All Albins are not the same (LOL). I'm going to assume you have the ones screwed into the fiberglass wall behind them, with large flat washers to spread the load. My last boat had a channel secured to the boat, and a round bead sewn to the bolster. The bolster would then slide into the channel, making it easy to remove for cleaning, year end storage etc. I am leaving my current, screwed on, bolsters on my 28TE year round until they need replacement, and then will have new ones made with the channels. Any competent canvas shop can do it. Be sure to save your old bolsters for your shop to copy. They can often just recover the existing pieces of foam saving much $$$ and time if the foam is not rotted.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Don,
I'm going through the same thing with mine. Bristol cushions is the name you will see around here. Nice folks. I think they quoted me close to 700 for the bolsters. I ended up using Danny's Custom Canvas in Middle River since they are replacing all my canvas.
My wife didn't like the duct tape I had on mine. I really can't understand why. 8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Bristol Cushions is or was the OEM manufacturer for Albin cushions & bolsters.

Bristol Cushions
6 Commercial Way
Warren, RI

Ph: (401) 247-4499

They offer two versions of the combing pads. The old style has the flat washers and screws. More recently they began using a track system like that used on rv awnings.

Capt Paul recently replaced his with the newer track setup. Maybe he has a couple of pics to share?

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I will take some pics of the setup with the tracks this weekend and post. I am very happy with the job Bristol cushions did. I also like the track setup. All three cushions on or off in a matter of minutes. And no hardware to keep track of. The only possible draw back is with the cushions off, the tracks could get damaged as they are made of a hard plastic. Time will tell on that.
The tracks are easy to replace and the cushion life will be greatly extended. My boat is on the water all year round out here and is not under a covered berth.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Thanks. Our have the screw and washer system. Have thought of the track but made an after deck cover for use part of the year and used a track (AL) and it tends to open at the end. Just wondering if anyone came up with some magic.

Regards to all

Don
Don
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

TE-28 Bolsters

Post by joe.baar »

Just for the record our 28TE had 1/8" thickness x about 1" width aluminum battens inserted into a hemmed flap along the bolsters' top sides. The battens spread the load in place of the flat washers Ric Murray mentions above, however the battens were screwed to the fiberglass in the same way washers would be.

I can hardly wait to replace the whole assembly. The zipper closers were pot-metal and corroded in place on the nylon teeth and even using a variety of solvents and lubricants I haven't been able to remove the foam so I could actually launder the covers. I'll be glad to let my local shop in Ballard have the originals. Now if I can get matee to agree on a color like International Orange.

Many thanks for the information you've all provided. -Joe
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

Joe,

I am having new bolsters covers made this week with the awning rail attachment by a company called oyster creek canvas. They quoted me $200 - $300 reusing the foam and I have the Sunbrella fabric.

http://www.oystercreekcanvas.com

Will let you know how they turn out.
Don and Taunya
2003 28TE -Dog On It-
Commodore Bellingham Wheel and Keel
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

28TE Bolsters, cont'd

Post by joe.baar »

Don (and Taunya),
I'm curious to see how the awning rails look without the cushions in place. As well, how Oyster Creek did with fabrication. Their web site is pretty rudimentary but that surely has no bearing on their skills as fabric artists. Thanks for keeping us in this loop.

I believe ours was the 28 Bellingham Yachts sold right after yours last summer. Remind me not to try getting boatyard work done during August, duhhh. We finally took delivery on Labor Day weekend.

We went over to the Seattle Boat Show last Saturday and visited with BYS. Ken Daugs has finally "retired" they said. Nick and Dean were both looking a little stressed, and who wouldn't with all those yahoos putting prints all over your shiny Sabreliners. Difficult business.
(former owners)
Ballard
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

A year ago, I removed my bolster cussions on the sides in order to have them re-covered. But once I took them off I liked the way it looked and the added room it gave me so I left them off. I still keep the one on the transom but I don't miss the others. I must confess I am not much of a fisherman so that may matter to those of you that are. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

A naked cockpit. 8)
Do you have any pictures?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Donya
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham

Post by Donya »

Joe,

If you seen the condition that Captain Clean was in you know what kind of project I took on. The more we looked at the boat the worse it got. Our first offer was refused and counter offer was too high.

Family matters and having a boat to sell then took us out of the market.

We took possession in the middle of August and after discussing with Matt and Dean a time line I decided to take a week off of work a tackle the big stuff.

We have logged some 250 hours since then, made a trip to Queen Charlottes, upgraded the electronics, and added a Flow Scan from the Seattle boat show this year.
That has got us to those ugly bolsters. :cry:
PS. Fishing opens today. 8)
Don and Taunya
2003 28TE -Dog On It-
Commodore Bellingham Wheel and Keel
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I may have some pictures, I'll check. If not then it will have to wait unless you want the blue hue of a tarp showing through. :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I may have some pictures, I'll check. If not then it will have to wait unless you want the blue hue of a tarp showing through. :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

28TE Bolsters, cont'd

Post by joe.baar »

As soon as it stops snowing in Everett and maybe gives us a clear, warm weekend day (hah) I'll be able to remove the cockpit cover and take some photos also. Probably mid-March? Come to think of it the cockpit does look a little naked without those sensual half-rounds. Depending on the cost we're considering enclosed-foam cushions from Bottom Siders in Hoquiam, Washington. The cross-section won't be quite as full but they'll still be excellent knee rests.
(former owners)
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”