• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Big crack on keel

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Big crack on keel

Post by Thumper74 »

Should I be worried?? Any idea on how to fix? Any idea or guesses on what caused this?? Wouldn’t want to loose my rudder… or take on water.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Big crack on keel

Post by WillieC »

Well that looks worrisome to me. That is the skeg attachment/encasement. Is it possibly freeze damage? Is the skeg loose? It might be difficult to tell with the rudder still attached.

Sure looks like it may have grounded and maybe even scraped a bunch of material off. Everything can be repaired but how deep would one have to grind to make it solid again. All the way to the encased pipe then put it back together lapping layers of glass and epoxy resin up the sides of the keel? Not fun but doable.

The WillieC has touched bottom a few times and repairs were made prior to our owning it. I stripped to gel coat for new bottom paint. Clues were different color and lack of gel coat in the repaired area. Looked funky but took two-part barrier coat just fine. Still, ouch.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Something I worry about when trailering is having the skeg touch pavement when transitioning a sharp grade change. If taking my rig on a ferry I always check the tide and talk to the loading attendant to make sure nothing hits the apron on entering or exiting.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Thumper74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Meridian Mississippi

Post by Thumper74 »

dkirsop wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:52 pm Something I worry about when trailering is having the skeg touch pavement when transitioning a sharp grade change. If taking my rig on a ferry I always check the tide and talk to the loading attendant to make sure nothing hits the apron on entering or exiting.
Yes sir. This is true. As to my knowledge the only time this boat was trailered was from Florida to Mississippi. The trailer it sits on is not even fitted for this boat. ( a project I will achieve). It was a trailer that was just thrown into the deal made by the previous owners.
“”Thumper”” Hull 2026
1975 albin 25 motorsailer

Return to “Albin Maintenance”