• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Schematics & Battery layout

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Schematics & Battery layout

Post by JoeH »

Anybody have access to schematics for the 28TE flush deck. I have copies of the Schematics John posted on 7/12/07, however there are some differences for the flush deck models. Also I'm replacing my batteries this year. Currently I have two 4D's which are tired. Looking to purchase a 4D as my house and a Group 31 as my engine start. The placement of the engine battery is in an area that's virtually impossibe to get access to and so bloody heavy that I believe the Group 31 will be a better choice. Any suggestions/comments on the selection or placement of the stsrt battery. The engine battery is currently placed on the starboard side directly next to the hatch lifter strut which will will have to be removed to lift out the battery.

Thanks in advance. :(

Joe H
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Hi Joe,

What year is your flushdeck? I have an '03 and the main battery (position 1 on switch) is the rear one mounted about centerline under the big hatch.

You aren't alone in hating the position of the secondary battery. To check and fill the battery requires a midget who isn't claustrophobic. I have to lay on my back in the bilge and use a mirror to check fluids. A small turkey baster is the refill method. At 220lbs and 6'2" I don't fit the category of small persons!!

Removing the battery is also a bear. I made a prop rod out of a 2x4. Once the hatch is up, pull the cotter pin and release the lifter arm so that you can lower it out of the way. Even with the prop rod, I recommend having a strong second body as backup holding the hatch open. It is very heavy and would chop you in half if it fell while under it. I also had to remove a piece of 1" frame that keeps the battery from sliding aft. I couldn't lift the battery enough to get it out without it.

I have been trying to work on a slide mechanism to allow the battery to be slid out for service. I will post info if it works out ok.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

JackK wrote:Hi Joe,

What year is your flushdeck? I have an '03 and the main battery (position 1 on switch) is the rear one mounted about centerline under the big hatch.

You aren't alone in hating the position of the secondary battery. To check and fill the battery requires a midget who isn't claustrophobic. I have to lay on my back in the bilge and use a mirror to check fluids. A small turkey baster is the refill method. At 220lbs and 6'2" I don't fit the category of small persons!!

Removing the battery is also a bear. I made a prop rod out of a 2x4. Once the hatch is up, pull the cotter pin and release the lifter arm so that you can lower it out of the way. Even with the prop rod, I recommend having a strong second body as backup holding the hatch open. It is very heavy and would chop you in half if it fell while under it. I also had to remove a piece of 1" frame that keeps the battery from sliding aft. I couldn't lift the battery enough to get it out without it.

I have been trying to work on a slide mechanism to allow the battery to be slid out for service. I will post info if it works out ok.

Jack
Jack, thanks for the quick response. My flush deck is a 2004. What are you using for batteries. 4D's or others? Love the boat but there are issues I'd change if I were designing it.

Have a great day.

Joe
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Yes, I have two 4D's.

Here's a shot of my boat under construction. He is building the shelf for the 2ndary battery to sit on. In the second photo you can see the battery in place at the right and the 1x piece that I had to remove to get it out.

Jack
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Yes, I have two 4D's.

Here's a shot of my boat under construction. He is building the shelf for the 2ndary battery to sit on. In the second photo you can see the battery in place at the right and the 1x piece that I had to remove to get it out.

Jack
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoeH »

JackK wrote:Yes, I have two 4D's.

Jack
Great photos. Yes that's exactly where my battery's located also. As I indicated in my earlier post. I also spoke with a battery expert at the Boston Boat show a couple of weeks ago and he suggested I use a Group 31 battery for my engine start. It's somewhat lighter and smaller. Approx. 70lbs vs 130lbs and 13"x7" vs 21"x 9".
Probably easier to handle also.

I had also thought of cutting and installing an access hatch above the 2nd battery.

Joe

Joe
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

JoeH -

I'd recommend replacing the 4D house battery with two 6V golf cart batteries. Much easier to handle in & out of tight spots, plus you'll get capacity approaching an 8D with more cycles.

I;m getting ready to replace my house bank this spring of two Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries that have lasted 8 years. Thinking of using their new AGM model to eliminate the hassle of adding water in that tight spot.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”