• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Americas Great Loop

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Americas Great Loop

Post by mhanna »

I would love to try this, but for now I can only read the passage and dream.
The link below shows of someone who was looking for a boat to do the loop and his updates along the way.
Very Cool....

http://www.timnolan.com/trip/index.htm

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Interesting read. I read most of it. I'll try to finish over the weekend.
His links page leads to other folks that have made the trip.
I have trouble getting Sharon to make the 100 mile trip to Solomons. I think I'll be doing the loop by myself. :)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

A trip like that was once our dream for our years AC (after children). The plan was to get a trawler in the 36-43' range & go.

The reality is that boats are expensive to cruise. They are also very limiting on where you can cruise i.e. they need water. One can pedal a bike just so far. Marina cars are OK for the short grocery shop but they won't want you taking the comp car all day sightseeing.

As it turns out, we have retired, semi retired, a few years early. We bought a 'land yacht'. It is a 34' 5th wheel trailer & a 3500 diesel dually to pull it.

We did 15,000 miles in 2 trips last year. This year will be a 13,000 mile plus trip to AK from April to early August then a Canada Downeast & New England trip September to early November.

We figure that if we are in a boating area & want to do a weeks cruise, we can always charter a self skippered boat.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “Cruising”