• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Possible 31 TE Purchase - Single Cummins 6BTA

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Catalinawinemixer
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Long Beach

Possible 31 TE Purchase - Single Cummins 6BTA

Post by Catalinawinemixer »

Looking for some advice. I might offer on the 1996 31 TE currently for sale in San Diego. Haven’t sea trialed yet but I’m concerned that this boat might be underpowered as it only has a single Cummins 6BTA. I’ve not heard of any other 31 TE’s with a single 6BTA. I’m waiting to hear back which version and horsepower but even the max HP version is only 370HP. I have a feeling this might be the 330HP version. No matter which 6BTA this is, does anyone else have a single 6BTA in their 31 TE? If so, what’s a reasonable cruise speed on plane?

The listing says 16-19 knot cruise with 23 knot max. Not sure if that’s accurate.

I’d be happy with a 16 KT cruise speed on plane if the engine isn’t overworked. Not sure if that will be possible with this engine.

Would love any thoughts or advice.
Waha1
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Re: Possible 31 TE Purchase - Single Cummins 6BTA

Post by Waha1 »

Great looking boat. I have spoken to the broker extensively regarding the same issues you ask about. Im just so darn far away to look

I would put a deposit and take it for a sea trial. Make sure it hits the max RPMs and that the boat is fully loaded. The 6BTA motor on that particular vessel has a SN 60236284. You will need to locate the engine tag on the motor that will have all the HP/RPMs info. 22kts with that boat fully loaded would be amazing but probably not fuel efficient. More like 16-17 cruise if propped correctly. If it is a 270hp version, expect less WOT an Cruse.
I believe that motor should hit 2600 rpms for the 270 version and 2800 RPMs for the 330 version. You should double check my numbers but they will be close.

Please feel free to contact me anytime to discuss.
Andy
Catalinawinemixer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Thanks Andy! Luckily I live close by to this boat so I think I’ll put down a deposit and go do a sea trial like you recommend. I had twin 6BTA’s (370 HP) in my last boat (Carver 444) so am familiar with these engines and like them a lot. If this boat can do 16 knots comfortably I’d be a happy camper.

I see you’re based in Sausalito, I used to live there and kept my boat in San Rafael. Always loved boating in the Bay!
Waha1
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Waha1 »

Yes. The SF Bay is awesome. Loch Lomond Marina is new owners in the last few years. You would not recognize it now.

Since you are familiar with the motors, look for the tag. The broker said it may have been painted over but you should be able to find it. Should be forward on the block before the shroud.

Good luck with the sea trial!

Here’s a photo of your motor and where to look for the tag
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Catalinawinemixer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Awesome, many thanks Andy!
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I hate to say it but their ain’t no way….. my 31 has the qsc 500 8.3 and max speed is 22 knots and cruise is 16-17 knots at 2400 rpm which is at the top of the allowable cruise rpm
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
Catalinawinemixer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Jkraft wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:34 pm I hate to say it but their ain’t no way….. my 31 has the qsc 500 8.3 and max speed is 22 knots and cruise is 16-17 knots at 2400 rpm which is at the top of the allowable cruise rpm
Thanks, I’m sure you’re right. We’ll have to wait and see what the actually cruise and wot speeds are with this 6BTA.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I agree with JB on this one. Someone is pulling your leg.

The right single and what is most often seen in the 31TE is the mechanical 8.3 liter 450hp Cummins 6CTA and in later hulls the electronic 8.3 liter Cummins 500hp QSC.

Now if it were a pair of 6BTA's that hull would scream!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Unless it’s a unicorn boat? Isn’t there a couple of 28’s here running 250hp or less with the same performance as a 300 yanmar?

I’m seriously considering swapping out my transmission at the moment just like the late Max (Serenity) had with his yanmar as that boat flew with better numbers than a boat with a 6bta in it with 70hp less?

I’ve been in talks with a propellor company who believe they could make my 28 hit the magic 30 knots with correct propeller and transmission ration. We’ve run the numbers many times even with the boat weighing in at 14000 lbs and they still believe they can make it perform with a cruise of 22 knots and just shy of 30 knots assuming 14000lbs.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Toolmanbob1993
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by Toolmanbob1993 »

Tree wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:37 pm Unless it’s a unicorn boat? Isn’t there a couple of 28’s here running 250hp or less with the same performance as a 300 yanmar?

I’m seriously considering swapping out my transmission at the moment just like the late Max (Serenity) had with his yanmar as that boat flew with better numbers than a boat with a 6bta in it with 70hp less?

I’ve been in talks with a propellor company who believe they could make my 28 hit the magic 30 knots with correct propeller and transmission ration. We’ve run the numbers many times even with the boat weighing in at 14000 lbs and they still believe they can make it perform with a cruise of 22 knots and just shy of 30 knots assuming 14000lbs.
This interests me alot…

I wasjust thinking about this a few days ago …are there post on here about this swap?
2000 28 TE “Slow Ride”
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

For reference my 31 has twin 370’s and cruises at 21 knots at about 2350. Ran great on my last long trip to the Dry Tortugas..
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Well catalinawinemixer keep us posted. We might see you on the island as we have had a place there for almost 30 years. However you will need to look for a Silverton now days.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Catalinawinemixer
Deckhand
Deckhand

Hi All, I ended up deciding not to put down a deposit and sea trial this boat. I knew it would be underpowered for what I want so I’ gonna keep looking. I’m in no rush which is good as these 31’s are rare to find. I’m also exploring the idea of compromising some of the comforts of the 31 TE and maybe looking at 28 TE’s to save some money.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

As a previous owner of a 28, go with the 31 if you can swing it. You won’t be disappointed. That being said, the 28 was an amazing boat as well. The 31 is just a different animal
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”

Return to “General Discussion”