• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

found another dipstick

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

found another dipstick

Post by furball »

Asked a friend to photo anything / everything this weekend while working on other items, getting ready for spring. So today I'm sitting here going through the pictures and I see a dipstick I didn't know I had:shock: I can't find reference to it in any of the manuals and I won't be back at the boat till this weekend. What's it for?
This is aft, port side of engine, looking in from the port berth, just below the intercooler. :?
Thanks,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'm just guessing but a Japanese manufacturer thinking "they might have to check the oil from the catwalk between their twin engines" might have put an oil level dipstick on both sides of the engine.

Total guess. The BEAST only comes with one! 8) Must be why they're cheaper!!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dipstick

Post by RicM »

Doug is correct. The Yanmar 6LP 's are often used in larger/faster yachts in twin engine configurations. The port side engine would not have access to the regular {larger} dipstick unless it was a very WIDE yacht. The smaller dipstick on my 28TE doesn't read the same as the larger one so I try (not always successfully) to ignore it. Medication helps.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The dipsticks are at different location so they read differently. There is a 4-5 quart swing from the full mark down to a point where the engine will actually start starving for oil. So keep the oil level up to the full mark on the dipstick that reads higher and you will surely be fine.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”