• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

windshield wipers

Ray Morley
Gold Member
Gold Member

windshield wipers

Post by Ray Morley »

Our 2001 TE has windshield wiper problems. It has spotlight problems as well, but I am going with a hand held spotlight and put something else in its place. Any suggestions?

Back to the wipers, my windshield wiper blades do not make very good contact with the glass. In fact two don't not make contact at all it seems there is not enough downward pressure and the third doesn't work. I tried replacing the blades but I think it may be the springs in the arms. Anyone got suggestions.

Ray Morley
Sea Inn
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wipers

Post by Capt Ron »

Ray, I had the same problem. I found a little penetrating lube at the wiper arm hinge did the trick. Use it sparingly, keep it off the glass and work the arm until it's free.
Owner of 28' TE
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Wipers

Post by soundguy »

Hey Ray and Capt Ron. I never had a problem with the wipers except they park in the MIDDLE of all 3 windshields. I want to get an aftermarket set up, but am hesitant. If I fool around with the switches(For a while finding the honey spot), they will eventually park to either side. Even off to the side, they hamper vision. Any ideas?

Thanks
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Soundguy,
Please resize your avatar to around 80x80. It will fit the page a little better. If you need help, let me know.

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wiper parking

Post by Capt Ron »

Sound Guy, I have AFI brand wipers in my boat. I have the same issue and emailed AFI with the question. They sent me instructions on how to adjust right, left or center parking. The adjustment involves removing the motor from the boat and disassembling somewhat. It doesn't look that difficult but I still haven't done it yet. I think I still have the instructions around somewhere. If I find them I'll post them but it'll probably be faster to email AFI.
Owner of 28' TE
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How to Park your wipers

Post by RicM »

If you disassemble the wiper motor it's pretty obvious how the parking function works. There is a disk with 2 screws that allows you to set the swept angle and where the arm stops by switching the disc around. BTW I've been told it's bad luck to have your wipers park on the starboard side.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Post by soundguy »

thanks collins. I'll try to get 2 it 2nite!
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE
"LUCKY 7 II"
South Amboy, NJ
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Post by soundguy »

Ok Jcollins- I give up! How do you use the avatar or resize the picture?
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE
"LUCKY 7 II"
South Amboy, NJ
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Capt Jay,
I see you removed your avatar link. I think you had it pointed to a Photobucket account. Put it back. Next time I login, I'll grab it and fix it up for you. No charge. :D
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
scarbo

Post by scarbo »

I had a wiper motor failure in a one-year-old 2005 28TE, naturally during a rainstorm in the middle of nowhere in Canada. When I removed the wiper motor I discovered the wormgear was full of fiberglass powder, which had caused it to seize and burn out. I looked up into the hole and found a pile of fiberglass residue, undoubtedly left from the hole saw cut during installation at the factory. The idiot who installed it didn't bother to vacuum out the dust pile before inserting the motor. Albin QA...
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wiper QC

Post by RicM »

Not that it matters now, but that's a classic illustration of isolation of management (Cos Cob CT), the workforce (Portsmouth RI), and the end user (due to general lack of return communication from the first 2 parties). The attitude that the customer was just a PITA was very prevalent mid to late 20th century in US management and workforce, which is one of the reasons why the auto companies, airlines and a lot of other industries have died, are dying, or moved off shore. If Albin had been sold to new owners with a lean mean management team that was looking ahead about 10 years ago I bet it would still be going strong today. It's a relatively "green" (fuel efficient) design, eclectic styling (the Volvo or Saab of the ocean) and plucky personality could have positioned for success when other boat companies would be headed south.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
soundguy
Mate
Mate

Post by soundguy »

THANK YOU JCOLLINS! Must appreciated!
Capt. Jay
Capt. Jay
2001 Albin 28 TE