• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How many hours on your Peninsular?

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

How many hours on your Peninsular?

Post by Mariner »

In response to a claim made in another thread, I wanted to collect some information on the longevity of the Peninsular engine, specifically with relation to the heads.

So, I pose this question to you:

How many hours are on your Peninsular engine, and at what points have you had to make major overhaul repairs like replacing the heads? Also, if you can provide us with some information about your cruising habits such as typical rpm, run time, etc... that would also be helpful.

Thanks.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: How many hours on your Peninsular?

Post by RobS »

Mariner wrote:specifically with relation to the heads
The heads? I was only aware of the issue with the cracked blocks - did not know the heads were an issue? How were the heads failing?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I saw that post as well. Wondering about the heads. (where is that popcorn)

I have 875 hours.
If I'm out for a cruise to nowhere I run 14-15. If there is a planned destination I cruise 17-20. Depends on weather/water conditions. I'll jump up to WOT for a few minutes. Had to outrun a storm once. I ran WOT for 25 minutes or so.
If I cruise Middle River or the Inner Harbor that is all 6 knots.

Typical run time is around 2-4 hours. No major maintenance yet. To my knowledge the previous owner never had anything major. (no receipts, log entries, etc.)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Turned 902 this weekend. Nothing yet.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I don't know exactly but I have around 800 hours and I have had no problems at all yet. I run the engine between 2,800 and 3,000 RPM,s, 2,950 is my favorite, it's smooth there. I just got back from a trip that was about 12 hours running time at that speed. I am going to have the mechanic adjust the valves at the end of the season, just for chuckles. I can't believe the bad reputation this engine has, with everyone that I talk to. They can't give me any specifics but just things they have heard in the rumor mill. I guess we are all test cases and I hope to prove them all wrong.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”