• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

First Fish

Moderator: RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

First Fish

Post by RicM »

Took my first striped bass of the year this morning on a pogie chunk off Prudence Island...the season begins.....

Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Nice fish

Post by Legacy »

Beauty!
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Nice Feesh!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

Sweet Bass!

Hey on your boat, I see the rod holder mounted next to you... That was where I wanted to put one, between the aft and foward-midsection ones I have. Was told I could not do it, due to the engine air intake there. Did you have any issues with that?

and again nice bass! Hoping to get out today and chase down more Salmon and try out the Auto-Pilot.
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rod Holders

Post by RicM »

I just have 2 gunnel rod holders on each side. There's the one you see behind me that has a siderigger in it, and another further aft that has a bait station in it that you can just see the edge of. What auto pilot did you put in? I just got my Furuno 511 up and running and it is fantastic! What they say is true, once you have one you never understand how you lived without it.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Congrats !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I guess it was the angle, so same as mine for location. I put in the Raymarine ST6001, works great! Used it all day today... (3 More Salmon in the boat today...)
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

More Fish

Post by RicM »

Once and a while the fish gods smile on you and they did on Dave and I today.....

Snagged fresh pogies and took them to a place far from the fleet getting in each other's way in Providence. Two 20 lbers, an 18 and a 12. Could have had all we wanted.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Is that a St. Croix I see?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

St Croix

Post by RicM »

Yes, you have a good eye. St Croix Muskee rod with an Accurate Boss Twin Drag B 197 XC reel w/300 yards of 50lb braid. I'm as picky about my gear as I am about my boats. I love the Accurate reels, they are light, mechanically they are jewels, and they look great too. Oh yeah, and they catch beeeg feeesh! A thirty five pound bass on that rig is an exciting fight. The only complaint I hear is that the clicker is too loud, when the reel goes off, any boat within 3/4 mile can hear it and rushes over. Of course nobody complains when the reel is in their hand!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Me too - meticulous about my boats, fishing and diving gear and my tools, after that the curve drops down to somewhere into the normal range.... St. Croix is the only way to go. You should be able to open up the reel and file down the clicker, we've done that on some of our bass reels that we use live-lining bunkers so there is less resistance when the bass hits and is allowed to run with the bunker and suck it down. I've seen the Accurates but do not own any but I know thier reputation. Mostly Newell's and Penn 965's on my St. Croix's.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reels

Post by RicM »

Karen had a Penn 965 on her rod, also a St Croix if i remember correctly. That setup served her well for 4 years. This Christmas I moved her up to the Accurate 270 (she's now remembering to thumb the line for even distribution). The Penn was showing it's age, sloppy, finish coming off etc. My Accurate that was the same age, serviced at the same facility, on the same schedule, with twice the use (& abuse) looks, feels & reels like new. Pick one up in a tackle shop and feel the gears, the lash and the drag. You'll never go back. Oh yeah, twice the $$$ but hey, with diesel $5/gal why be frugal?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

RI techniques

Post by Legacy »

Hi Ric. Hope you bring your rods to the rendezvous. Curious to know if Rhode Islanders chum and chunk or if you drift chunks?

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rods

Post by RicM »

Rick,

Oh yeah, I don't go on the water without a suitable compliment of fish slaying lip rippers. There is no better guarantee that you will motor through the blitz of the century than to leave the rods home. BTW, I checked the rods this afternoon and the rod in the picture is actually a CTR, made by Courtland. Rob was not really wrong however, as the CTR's were made by St Croix under contract to Courtland, same blank & hardware (so the salesmen told me).
Sunday was so beautiful I got weepy on the way home. We left the dock around 8:30, fished until about noon with no luck. Anchored up in Coggeshall Cove for lunch and a couple of cold Rolling Rocks (temp on land around 90). Read the Sunday paper front to back, put the Red Sox on the radio, then time for a nap. On the ride home we sighted a lot of bait on the finder so we trolled a diver and a big bunker spoon. Karen landed her first bass of the season that we took for dinner on the grill. Oh and the Red Sox and the Celtics won. If this isn't heaven I don't know what is.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Nice Fish Folks!

I haven't tried accurate reels - though I'd love to. As far as the rods are concerned....I think Loomis may get my vote with St. Croix a close second.

Return to “Fishing”