• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Horn on 28 te

Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horn on 28 te

Post by Jack28 »

I just bought a 2001 28te engine box the helm has a horn button but it does nothing. I asked the broker to fix it and he talked to the previous owner and the said that it did not have one? I looked all over and could not find one, I have not taken panel apart yet to look for wires. Does any one have info on this issue. Also found 1 brown wire behind D.C. panel that looks like a spare? I also found one A.C. wire that looks like a spare does anyone know where these go as I could use them for something.
Thanks Jack/CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jack,
I'm surprised the owner and broker would say it didn't have a horn. That's Coast Guard requirement. (rule 37?)
I think the horn was located on the starboard side of your pilot house. Any holes there?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My 97 model has a trumpet shaped horn just above the windshield. It is activated by a switch on the dash panel. The survey should have included a check of the horn.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Jack, John is correct. What you should see is a flush mounted horn just outside your starboard window. Its kind of a stainless diamond with a grill in the middle. I think someone posted a picture a while back. Try doing a search.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

I do not see any holes. I will look for flush horn but it would have to be behind a vent (i think) my surveyor noted the horn did not work. I think I will mount on under the radar. I took off the side panel on the helm side and I see a large (#8?) bonding wire that comes up and back down (just a loop) has anyone seen if this wire is the bond for the arch?
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

The horn on my 2001 is located on top of the pilothouse midships aft.
Don
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Loose wires

Post by RicM »

I do not believe that a fixed horn is required by law, a handheld air horn is just as legal.

Albins were assembled with a pre-made electrical wiring harnesses that included wiring for all listed accessories, whether ordered or not. They usually followed the ABYC standards for color coding pretty well.
(see:http://www.panchdara.com/Panchdara/DCWiring.htm, or just google marine wire color code)
For example, my '03 28 TE came with a switch at the helm labeled for a saltwater washdown, but with no pump or plumbing because the previous owner didn't fish. I bought a pump, plumbed it to a station aft near the baitwell and put in a fixture for one of those curly hoses. I followed the wire from the switch labeled salt water washdown (I forget the color) down though to the bilge area and there was a loose end. Checked it with my handy multimeter and it showed 12VDC when I flipped the dash switch so labeled on, bingo! Instant wiring!

Just be aware that a lot of the wiring at the helm is part of the Yanmar (if your boat is so equipped) wiring harness, which is a separate issue and came as a separate item. The Yanmar owners' manual has a block diagram with all the wire colors marked. Many big boat manufacturers published their wiring diagrams with color codes (a quick google found the Boston Whaler code). I don't believe Albin ever published one, if some one has it could they post it here PLEASE?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

Thanks Rick I think that's the case here. When the Broker asked the previous owner he said he used an air horn.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I do not believe that a fixed horn is required by law, a handheld air horn is just as legal.
Ric,
You are correct. A handheld horn would satisfy the COLREGS. But, I just assumed any boat would include a horn. I just don't see that as an option. It's like buying a new car with no tires. "Oh, you wanted tires with that?"
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

I found a gray wire like zip cord up on the arch behind the spreader light and it goes to the horn button no horn on the starboard side
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Horn Wires

Post by RicM »

I have a trumpet type horn that hangs from the radar arch. See the picture below:
These horns don't last forever in the salt air. You can surely get an elegant solution at the marine parts store.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Arch Bonding Wire

Post by Pitou »

Jack28 wrote: I took off the side panel on the helm side and I see a large (#8?) bonding wire that comes up and back down (just a loop) has anyone seen if this wire is the bond for the arch?
That's the bonding wire. Mine was not connected as well. I replaced one of the bolts securing the arch with one about a half inch longer so it extended through the hardtop so I could place the bonding wire ring over it and pick it up with a flat washer, lock washer and a nut. Tuxedo had chimed in a while back that the dealers were responsible to attach the arches after the boats were shipped. It seems like alot of them skipped attaching the bonding wire to the radar arch.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jack28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack28 »

kevin, I did not pull on the wire but it comes up and goes back down so with what you are saying it is just tied back and I should be able to pull it up and put a eye on it?
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jack28 wrote:kevin, I did not pull on the wire but it comes up and goes back down so with what you are saying it is just tied back and I should be able to pull it up and put a eye on it?
Not too difficult of a job / just requires a little bilge time / always fun!

1st thing ... follow the wire to where it originates. If it is the bonding wire it will terminate at the bonding strip (check out the schematics for the bonding system). viewtopic.php?t=948

On my boat the strip is located on the starboard stringer next to the engine. That was my 1st step. Secondly take the other end and put a terminal ring on it that will fit the bolt coming down through the arch and hardtop (you may need to replace with a longer bolt)and fasten to it with a flat washer, ring terminal, another flat washer, lock washer and then the nut. I attached the wire to the forward arch bolt as it is the most accessible.

Jack28 ... congrats on the new boat & welcome aboard!!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”