• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Entec Generator

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Entec Generator

Post by Pitou »

For you guys that have this set-up .... please, learn at my expense.

I had previously posted that I had to replace an exhaust elbow and valves on my generator after the saltwater side created a vacuum from the generator not being installed correctly, BY ALBIN. I also installed a siphon-break as well / this is very, very, very important. If the bottom of your exhaust elbow is not a minimum of 10 inches above the waterline .... put the siphon-break in NOW!!! Without the break most likely water will siphon back into the elbow and overflow through the exhaust valve. There are 2 holes in the rear of the soundshield above the exhaust to run the saltwater outside the box to the siphon break & back. As previously stated I had done the break, elbow and both valves as they were all pitted and corroded from the saltwater. It ran, but starting was slow.

Well .... now there is more. Hard starting again this year so I pulled the head again ..... valves were good / no corrosion .... I guess the siphon-break is working. I pulled the "jug" cylinder assembly, and removed the piston last week and found the cylinder had a series of bathtub rings, the piston rings were rusted and the piston itself was a mess. I must say Entec advised I do this the 1st time around, but I was a little to scared for that adventure the 1st time. Ordered / piston, rings, cylinder assembly, and gasket set at $625. I put the piston, cylinder assembly, and head back on yesterday and now need to put the freshwater reservoir, injector, etc. back on and adjust the valves.

Dave Oostman at Entec West is a great help and understood my problem exactly. Diagnosed exactly over the phone. Wish I had taken all his advice from the begining. I thought I could get away with $200 in parts and my own labor the 1st time and now dropped the additional $625 he recommended from the begining. Dave said he warned ALBIN and they ignored his advice and that all this type of repair always seems to come exclusively from poor boat builder installations. He says he gets these calls frequently and not just from ALBIN owners. He said the best installs come from aftermarket installations from boat owners and boat yards / they seem to follow the install manual. Believe me, ALBIN missed it on this one / it was all right in the manual that I received at delivery. I wish ALBIN had installed the $100 siphon break system and saved me the headaches, $825 in parts plus labor for most that I did myself with the exception of a friend who set the new valves in the head. What a corner to cut!!!

Long story short (I could go on) .... make sure you have a siphon break and you will not intimately have to get to know Dave (great guy by the way)!!! I sure did miss some great fishing this past weekend :cry: .

Sorry for the rant .... just a bit frustated .... if you couldn't already tell .... good boating to you. :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Kevin,
Thanks for this post. It will be helpful to other members.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

up and running

Post by Pitou »

Up and running smooth as silk. Great little unit / if only ALBIN had installed the "siphon T" none of my problems would have occured.

update: and now I have replaced the head / the exhaust valve was not seating properly and the only solution was to also replace the head.
Unable to replace valve seats as the water jacket is only microns away.

All told : Parts list .... $ 100 for Siphon T ALBIN did not install. :evil:

resulting damage : Replacement Parts: $ 1500.00 :evil:
1). Piston and Rings
2). Cylinder and Sleeve
3). Complete Head Assembly

Labor: $ 0
Liquor consumption ... 1 bottle of rum - 1 bottle scotch
aggrevation : cannot calculate
.... if I had not done this myself / est. labor : $ 800

Great customer service from Entec and a terrific 4kw diesel unit. Perfect size for the 28TE.

Here is a link to the installation page ALBIN ignored :http://entecwest.com/installation7.htm#siphon
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member