• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Long Distance Slow Speed

elad9000

Long Distance Slow Speed

Post by elad9000 »

The wife and I are looking to do some cruising and we have all the time in the world.

Anyone see any problems running for hours on end at say 1500 RPM?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

:?: A question better asked on www.boatdiesel.com
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

What engine do you have? What boat?

I do know that Yanmar does not recommend long slow trolls without "blowing" out the carbon for about 10 mins or so. For ME on my 28' TE with a 6lp 300 ste the long slow trolls are at 750 rpms or so and last for 3 to 4 hours.......and blowing out the carbon is about 10 mins at 3600 rpms. (your carbon build up and blow out time might vary).

I think for me 1500 rpms must be about 10 or 12 knots... that causes me to push an awful lot of water. I seem to be very efficient up to 1000 or so rpms...then the boat seems to strain until I get up on a pretty good plane...which for me is in the 2800 to 3000 rpm range depending on the boat load and how clean the bottom is.

Some of the low speed diesels can run for years at low speeds and never have a problem. Yanmars are considered high speed diesels.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
AlanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlanD »

I troll around 900 RPM for hours with drift socks, keeping me down to around 2.3 mph. The drift socks really help in letting me keep the engine up and oil pressire up. But she sometimes coughs a bit when I bring her back up to 3000 RPM for the run home, though lately she has been better. (Yanmar).
Alan
2008 28 TE NE
Brandon Marie
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

As long as you run it up under load every once in a while, it's just fine.
SkipperB
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by SkipperB »

I have just finished a 600mile++ cruise with an average speed of 8 knots with out any problems.I ran the motor(450HP Cummins) up every few hours Also averaged just a little under 3 MPG :D :D
OUT 'N' ABOUT
31 TE
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I would recommend calling your local marine Cat, Cummins or whatever engine you have. I did call Cat when I had 3208 turbo engines in my 39' SeaRay and ran at 1200 to 1500 day in and day out on a 5 week trip. No problems.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
Gary J
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sarasota, Fl

Re: Long Distance Slow Speed

Post by Gary J »

elad9000 wrote:The wife and I are looking to do some cruising and we have all the time in the world.

Anyone see any problems running for hours on end at say 1500 RPM?
We have alot of slow speed zones here in SW Florida for Manatees. We typically run through them at 1300 to 1500 rpm, which is in the 6 to 8 knot range with our 315 Yanmar. We find this to be a very efficient speed with the bow fully settled in the water. Also when in no hurry we'll cruise extensively at this speed. I always try to run it up to 3200 or more for a bit before heading to the dock to blow out the carbon, per Yanmar recommendation. Always has run great.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”