• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fifty Five

Moderator: RobS

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fifty Five

Post by RicM »

Saturday, July 12th was the darnedest day! The day before I had taken two friends fluking in the bay and south shore beach area for 5 hours and not had a single legitimate hit, the first total skunking I had received in a long time. My confidence was at a low ebb and I had the next day scheduled with a client and co-worker that I had never fished with before. At least the weather had been promised to be good. I decided to change things up entirely and do my first seasonal trip to Block Island. At least these kids would get a nice boat ride and a couple of drinks at The Oar out of it if I stunk it up again. We left the dock at Wickford around 6 AM and snagged a few remaining pogies outside the breakwater, as the schools were just starting to break up for the season. A good thing, as half the anemic little eels I had purchased the night before had wriggled out of my submerged cage to freedom. On the way over Matt & Jim asked me what was the largest fish I'd ever caught and I told them I was still waiting to crack 40 pounds.

The ride to Block was a picture postcard, flat seas, beautiful skies, fast cruise all the way to the SW corner. We set up on the humps near the R4 buoy and dropped 2 live eels and a live pogie. On the first drift I showed the boys how it was done with a nice 20 LB bass that inhaled the pogie and put up a classic fight. The day was definitely looking up. Three more drifts in that general area (now with a lot of friends) yielded nothing so we moved further down the ledge. The 3 mile line was crowded with charters, and I didn't want to fish in a crowd, so we stopped about half way down the legal part of the ledge and started a drift that would take us SE off the ledge into about 75 feet of water. By this time the bluefish and doggies had reduced our bait supply to 1 remaining eel and some pogie chunks. I gave Jim, the rookie, the last eel as Matt (the business associate) had reeled in a fluke, a dogfish and had had several good hits go missing. Jim had never seriously fished for striped bass before, strictly panfish and trout ponds. I checked his leader and found some scratches so I cut off a few inches and retied the hook. I put the last eel on Jim's hook and Matt and I dropped the chunks. About halfway to the drop-off Jim's reel starting singing that wonderful song and I flipped the drag lever forward. I was surprised when the song actually picked up and the lightweight rod doubled over against the drag. This was something different for sure.

Jim almost fell down twice during the fight. He was 26 years old and in good shape but was exhausted when it was over, as I had to keep telling him to breathe! When the fish came to the boat I could see the circle hook in the upper lip and the knot in the water like I had "super vision", all I could think was "knot, please hold!" I had gotten a new net for Christmas this year, Karen bought the biggest one in the store, partly to give me a hard time as she always catches the bigger fish and I have to net them. As I slipped the net over the exhausted cow's tail I realized I had another problem, the net did not even come to the mid point of the fish's body. I was not going to be able to get the center of gravity into the net! I handed the net to Matt, and because I now wear heavy, no-slip gloves when on the water, I slipped my hands into the gill plate and mouth and yelled for Matt to lift the tail with the net and we heaved the fish over the gunnel. A quick weigh at the scene showed well over 50lbs, and we celebrated like school boys. Back to New Harbor and Champlain's for some ice and a celebratory Mudslide and we had quite a crowd gather at the dock to see the fish. A careful weight without boat motion showed the spring scale bottomed out at it's maximum, 55 pounds. Back in Wickford we idled through the Harbor showing the fish to cheers and applause from the town dock (It was Art Festival weekend and the place was packed). People drove children up to us in dingies asking to see it again. We attended a friends' birthday party on the dock at Wickford Shipyard that night and the fish was the talk of the town. "Did you hear a guy caught a 55 pound bass today? Oh yeah, that's Ric, over there....." Truly a day I will always remember!
All in all, just a fantastic experience. I told Jim that he should never go bass fishing again, it was over for him. Just this one trip, the best he would probably ever have, should be enough.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

That is a day worth remembering. Beautiful fish.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Beautiful fish Ric. Bring that guy tuna fishing. He's good luck 8)

I'm going to have to follow you out to Block one of these days soon !

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Nice fish and nice story !
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fifty Five

Post by RicM »

It was and continues to be a great experience. I know it will not last long, but as a new comer (11 years) in a small town in New England, I have become "The guy who caught the 55". People who have pretty much thought me invisible now say hello and stop to chat. I have overheard other people telling my story to each other, unaware that I am "the guy who caught the 55".

I like the idea of taking young Jim tuna fishing. Now that would be a story. Guy goes fishing twice in his life.......
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nicely done Ric. That's a true "trophy" fish. Maybe Block Island just moved up the list for next yrs rendevous....
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Congratulations

Post by Legacy »

Super fish Ric. Don't catch them all, we need some in Boston like that! See you on the tuna grounds!
Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What the Big Fish Taught Me

Post by RicM »

I learned something from the big fish last night, and I'm not just trying to extend the glow of my first 50+ bass (well a little). Of course when we hooked the fish I hit the "mark" button on my new Furuno GPS, something I do out of habit, along with marking the start of each drift. I was curious about the location of the hookup because there was no real structure shown on the C-Map Bathymetric chip that I use when fishing. You folks probably know that the bathymetric chip is the specialized chip that is supposed to contain more detail on bottom contours, bottom conditions etc. I also use a laptop for managing waypoints and routes when we do long cruising trips with multiple legs, but the laptop uses scanned NOAA paper charts, not the electronic versions. Last night I downloaded the waypoints from Saturdays' fishing into the laptop program and was very interested to see that the point marked for the hookup of "Mister Big" was right on top of a clearly defined mound marked "boulders" on the NOAA chart. Back I went to the C-Map on the GPS (yes I actually take my laptop down to the dock, like a true geek) and low and behold, no structure or depth change indicated for a quarter mile around the waypoint! Hmmm. I then marked a bunch of similar structure on the NOAA chart and found little or none of it indicated on the C-Map Bathy chart. Want to guess where I'll be fishing on my next trip to Block Island? Interestingly enough we were all alone when we hooked "Mister Big", not another boat within half a mile. You can even learn stuff from a dead fish!
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What the Big Fish Taught Me

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:the point marked for the hookup of "Mister Big" was right on top of a clearly defined mound marked "boulders" on the NOAA chart.
How much to charter "Time After Time" for a dive trip to the secret "Boulders" so I can find Mr. Bigger :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

8)

Nice Fish !!!! Catch a 50 "they" say!!!

I haven't gotten there yet 48 is my number .... I have a picture of my buddy holding it after pulling her in by the gill and tail (he cut my head off for my photo / before digital) 1999 and still talked about.

My hats off to you and crew 8) Enjoy the glow :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Charter Price

Post by RicM »

One word Rob, Priceless!
Thanks Kevin! BTW made the Goombay Smash for that dock party I mentioned in the first post. Worked almost as good as the LPR (Pyrat).[/img]
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I was standing on line at the deli yesterday and picked up the LI Fisherman to glance at while I waited and saw this and shot it with my cellphone. Ric this guy's holding a 70 a little easier than you and that 55. I guess the Goombay Smash was before your picture :D

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Nice Catch! :shock:
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fish

Post by RicM »

I think my fish was prettier.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Fish

Post by Pitou »

RicM wrote:I think my fish was prettier.
Absolutely :wink:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Fishing”