• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

advice

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
jimnche
Swabby
Swabby

advice

Post by jimnche »

we are interested in buying an Albin 28TE as we think the are great! We want to learn navigation,and engine skills as we have only sailed on sailboats before. We live in Marin County California and intend to take the boat up the Delta, into the bay etc. A local broker has two for sale, a 1995 with a penisular engine, with 860 hours. It looks clean and well cared for. It has a Vetus Bow Thruster, anchor windlass anchor, depth sounder jensen radio, hummingbird GPS. We could buy this for about $45000. The other one is a 1998 with Yamana engine, and Raytheon electronics. It looks and smells a bit fusty, but otherwise appears in good condition. It has about 850 hours. The newer one has an enclosed wheelhouse which feels a bit claustrophobic; the older one has a detachable zipped curtain which we prefer. The 1998 is for sale for around $90,000
We definitely prefer the older one, and not just because of the price. Of course we will get a full inspection and a sea trial before we buy, but in your opinion, does it sound like a good deal?
Thanks a lot, the forum and web site is terrific

C and J
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jimnche,

Welcome to AOG.
I'll jump in on the 95 model. You are describing my boat! I have the same model in a convertible. The price is good. 95s are selling in the 60s around here. The peninsular engine has a bad reputation. But, taken care of, it will be fine. Search on Peninsular and you will see what I mean. I have 930 hours on mine and have not had any problems with it. There are also quite a few members with the same engine and no problems. It does/did have a "hot starting problem" that is easily fixed with a replacement glow plug timer from Peninsular. The part is 75.00 and installation was easy. (not for me, my mechanic :) )
I should add that the price is possibly lower because of the Peninsular engine. Good for the buyer...not so good for resale.

Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the 1995 model.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would lean towards the one with the Yanmar, better electronics, and the Alaskan Bulkhead. But at twice the price, and in your warmer climate, I can understand why you might want the '95.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sight unseen: The 95 sounds like a good deal. The 98 seems pricey.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jimnche
Swabby
Swabby

prospective new owner of 28 TE

Post by jimnche »

Thanks for the advice1 We are having a sea trial and inspection of engine and then we will make a decision. We appreciate the comments and advice and are sure to be getting back to you!
C and J
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Prefer Yanmar

Post by RicM »

Sea trial both boats. The Yanmar is smoother, quieter, less smoke and faster. The fusty atmosphere is easy to clean up. In this economy I would offer $75K for the Yanmar. Maybe pay $80K.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Prefer Yanmar

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Sea trial both boats. The Yanmar is smoother, quieter, less smoke and faster. The fusty atmosphere is easy to clean up. In this economy I would offer $75K for the Yanmar. Maybe pay $80K.
and a bit more fuel efficient. I know of a few Yanmar TE's out this way that can be had for $80K or less. chiefrd's 99 w/ yanmar is not too much more and they don't come any nicer than his.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”