• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

inboard/outboard on 28 TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

inboard/outboard on 28 TE

Post by halfmoon »

How many I/Os did Albin build in the 28? Anyone out there who can speak from experience about the performance and handling of an I/O? Am looking at the 28s. Plan to move down from a PDQ 36.
Alexander
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Alexander,
Welcome to the group!
I can't speak about production numbers but I have owned I/Os in other boats over the years. If the Albin holds true to the normal I/O handling you would find tracking to not be as good as the inboard. At low speeds I/Os tend to wander. The Volvo duo-prop helped quite a bit with tracking and low speed wander, but it's still there. Maintenance on a I/O is higher especially in salt water.

The good news is that close quarter handling around a marina or backing into a slip is predictable and much better than the inboard. Top end speed would be greater and it would have a shallower draft.
I will say that after owning both, I would not go back to the I/O.

I don't know how Albin handled the keel in the I/O version or if it's there at all. I've never seen one. Perhaps someone with knowledge about that will jump in here.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

I/O

Post by halfmoon »

John,
Should I post this question in the TE 28-35 section?
Alexander
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Nice avatar John :shock:

Halfmoon when I was looking for an Albin I saw one with an IO and liked the idea of a shallower draft. I had an IO duoprop for many year before and found it worked great. The Albin is a heavy boat for 1 I/O, not saying it did not work. Not sure as I never rode in one though. I called Albin (when they answered the phones) and spoke to someone who said they made 8 of em for a guide. They were supposed to all to to FL, but some stayed north...

Anyway there are not to many of them out there, If you do get one you will have to tell us how it works....

John, here is a pic of the bottom, they do not have keels

Here is a pic of the outdrive....

Good luck in whatever you do..

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: I/O

Post by jcollins »

halfmoon wrote:John,
Should I post this question in the TE 28-35 section?
Alexander
We're not too picky about that around here. I can move this thread if you want. Let me know.
My first love at the Annapolis show years ago was the Albin 35. My second love was the PDQ. That is a very nice boat. Laid out well. Are you looking at the I/O because of draft? When I first starting looking at Albins that was my issue. The creek where I kept my boat was very shallow. If I recall the draft of the PDQ is about 2 1/2? The inboard Albin 28 is 3' 2". I have been in as little as 2.7 dragging through the muck. (not recommended)
But, I'm sure the keel adds to the stability and handling these boats are known for. Your should consider sea trialing both just to compare.

Matt - That picture is from the cover of Chesapeake Bay Magazine. She is laying on the deck of a 50 something. Nice lines. ( I mean the boat :roll: )
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: I/O

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote: She is laying on the deck of a 50 something.
She's laying on the what of a 50 something year old :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “New Member Introductions”