• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Arizona Member

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
DaveP

New Arizona Member

Post by DaveP »

I recently purchased an Albin 25. The hull is in great condition as the boat was used only in fresh water (Great Lakes) and has been stored (covered) in high, dry Arizona for the past 12 yrs. I posted a note about overhauling the prop shaft on this boat as I'm afraid the rubber bearings have probably dried out and deteriorated during the past 12 yrs. on the hard. I am re-powering the boat with a Yanmar 3YM30, 29 hp engine and thought that doing the prop shaft at the same time would be a good idea.
Thanks for any suggestions on doing the prop shaft overhaul. DaveP
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

DaveP,
Welcome to the group. Post some pics of your installation. I'm sure we would be interested in seeing them.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Rubber bearings?

Wouldn't it have packing gland filled with flax packing?
DaveP

Rubber Bearing? on 25 Albin prop shaft

Post by DaveP »

On page 12 of the Per Brohall, Albin 25 handbook there is a cutaway drawing of the prop shaft showing a rubber bushing/bearing located inside the aft end of the keel/skeg. In the handbook it states that this rubber bushing/bearing is water-lubricated. This cone shaped bushing/bearing is accessed by removing the two allen head screws at the aft end of the keel/skeg.

You are correct that there is a packing gland w/ flax packing inside the hull aft of the engine.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Dave: What you are talking about is the cutless bearing. Normally you grab the propeller and try to move it back and forth to see if the bearing is worn. If there is more than a tiny amount of play you should probably replace it. I do not know if the rubber would rot in the Arizona dry air but if any doubt go ahead a replace it while you are doing the engine.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “New Member Introductions”