• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 wooden windows

seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Albin 36 wooden windows

Post by seblyte »

Hi Everybody, I wonder if anybody has had experience of restoring their old wooden window frames. My Albin 36 classic is in need of restoration and the main problem is the leaking windows. Can anybody talk me through how you disassemble the frames to remove the glass in order to clean them out and reseat them. I am hoping to preserve the original frames. Many thanks Sebastian
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 36 wooden windows

Post by jleonard »

I resealed my fronts a couple of years ago, and the side sliders last summer.
The fronts were a real PIA. Basically all the frames come out the same way.
You need to drill out the bungs from the outside and remove all the screws. Then the real fun part, separating the wood from the extremely good caulk/adhesive used at the factory. A thin strong, sharpened putty knife is the basic tool...slice thru 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Sometimes a piano wire can saw thru the caulk.
Be extremely careful or the window will crack...I feel good that I only broke one out of the three..LOL.
The side sliders were a bit easier...same basic priciple except I was able to slide out the leaking track after only removing the bottom and side frame. I could just get the old track out and the new ones in...purchased at Defender and cut to length. REMEMBER to drill drain holes thru the track...more than one place to I might add. That's why mine were leaking...the originals had no drainage.
Hope this helps...if you have specifc questions e mail me at
jleonard@usa.norgren.com
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seblyte
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Albin 36 wooden windows

Post by seblyte »

That's most helpful. I think it was the reassurance that the bungs need to be drilled out that I was seeking. It's not a job I am looking forward to but one that must be done. Thanks again.

Return to “36/37/40/43”