• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Projected maintenance costs for a classic 36: Jeremy

Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Projected maintenance costs for a classic 36: Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Hi all: I'm looking into buying a 36 classic. I've always loved the cut of her jib, and the idea of extended cruising. There seem to be some bargains out there now on a few 1978-1982 Classics, but I know the purchase cost is only the tip of the iceberg. My last boat was 25 lOA, 9.5 beam. The 36 is substantially bigger, and with that I have to assume the cost is, too. I'm in the NE--Long Island to be exact. Regional differences aside, how much per foot should I assume it is to haul? to store in a boat yard? etc. I have a pretty good idea about fuel consumption, but there are so many other costs that I can't begin to imagine or estimate; it takes experience like yours to even begin to get an idea of what she'll run me. Any ideas on other various and sundry costs, or rough estimates, would be greatly appreciated.
I love this boat, it's a dream.
Thanks! Jeremy
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Projected maintenance costs for a classic 36: Jeremy

Post by jcollins »

Jeremy,

I'm going to be the first to welcome you to AOG. Thanks for joining and your post. I'm sure it will spark quite a few answers. You mention you had a 25' boat. What type? Cruiser, ski, center console? Not that it makes much difference in what your Albin will cost. Just curious.
A 36 is a lot of boat. If you are handy it will help reduce costs. If not, do what I do. Just give the marina your AMEX and don't sweat it. It's only money. 8)

Seriously, thanks for joining. I'll sit back and let the experts reply.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

To the best of my knowledge there is no jib on the old 36 trawlers. :wink:
Fuel is by far the cheapest part of boating. I use my 40 a lot, just about every weekend plus vacations and I don't even think about fuel cost.
Slip fees and haulout fees vary so much from area to area and marina to marina I couldn't do you justice by guestimating. Call around the places you might want to stay and ask. Just remember the 4 ft water draft and 20 ft or so air draft. You may not want to be a prisoner of the tide or a bridge. Something to think about.
As an example I summer in Mystic, Ct, but winter up the CT river in Portland, Ct. I save over $800 each winter by doing that. I'm sure my summer savings would be more, but I want to be on the coast, not 3 -4 hours up a river.
On the old trawlers teak deck leaks, window frame leaks are the big things to look for. Also check the cement filled keel for trapped water. Usually there is a leak from inside the bilge that lets water get there. Also watch out for rusting black iron fuel tanks.
The engine will likely be a Ford-Lehman 120 or 135. Don't let 3000 to 5000 hours scare you away. That's nothing for those old hunks of iron. Parts are still easy to get thru ADC in Virginia. There are some upgrades to the old 120 that you SHOULD plan on doing if you end up with one. Would be approx $500 very well spent.
Beyond that it's pretty much anything else that would apply to a 20 to 30 year old boat. There will be lots of mods and upgrades you'll want to do most likely.
Happy hunting.
Jay
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jeremy »

Hey John and Jay: Thanks for the welcome, the information, and the good advice.
John: my old boat was a Columbia Northsider; you may or may not be familiar with the boat. It's built here on Long Island, in Quogue, and it's hard to describe. Family fisherman meets down easter is what comes to mind. It's a pretty neat setup: the cockpit is large--about 12 feet. The remainder of the boat is wheelhouse, sink, icebox, and convertible settee with ample seating. It's a single screw inboard, full keel old timer that does pretty well in the chop and slop. We used to spend a week at a time in Great Salt Pond. It was a little cramped, but comfy. I love to fish, but found myself increasingly enjoying cruising. Fishing is just an excuse to be out there! It would be nice to have a little more room, and creature comforts. As for speed, it's nothing I've ever needed. We used to cruise at 15 knots, 2200 rpm. No rush. 6-7 knots wouldn't bother me at all!
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

No rush. 6-7 knots wouldn't bother me at all
You will need a decent autopilot and a drinkholder, and of course some tunes. :wink:
Hope to see you out at Block. We are there several times during the course of the summer.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

One additional bit of information...
Due to the large bow flare, the yard will need to do some special blocking to lift your boat as they do on mine.
I don't know if I can describe it, but basically they need blocks at the deck line to keep the straps OUT and parallel. If they don't block out the straps they will crush the deck.
If you look at your boat from the front you will see what I am trying to say.
I have pictures of mine in the slings.
Send me an e mail to
jleonard@usa.norgren.com
and I can send that pic plus some more info you may find useful. I also have a Lehman 120 manual electronically plus some other goodies.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

Hi
Is there a chance of getting that picture also.
Being a new 36' trawler owner I want to make sure the yard gets it right.
thanks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Is there a chance of getting that picture also
Have you sent me an e mail yet as asked above? Otherwise I can't.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

Thanks
Pls send to rfr0355@aol.com
Best Regards
Jeremy
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Jeremy »

Jay:
Thanks for the pics; your boat's a beauty!

Return to “36/37/40/43”