• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Halibut Opener and Ling Cod

Moderator: RobS

TD
First Mate
First Mate

Halibut Opener and Ling Cod

Post by TD »

Had a pretty good Halibut opener and Ling Cod fishing last weekend out of Neah Bay, WA. Halibut to 45#--which is perfect for eating and Ling Cod to 25#. I guess to some think these are homely fish, but they are my favorite to eat. We got a chance to use the new freezer [6.5 cubic feet which I mounted in the cockpit]. This was the Albin's Christmas present. We ended up with 82 vacuum packed bags of Halibut and 37 Ling Cod. I use the 8 X 10 inch bags most of the time. I am heading back Wednesday for what is the last open fishing days until fisheries count the fish. After that there is usually one to three additional days to fish with one week notice.
DSCN1248.JPG[attachment=0]DSCN1247.JPG
DSCN1250.JPG
DSCN1254.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Halibut Opener and Ling Cod

Post by Anthony1013 »

That's a nice haul! Way to put the new freezer to good use...

How was the boat ride up there?

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

We left Wednes 5:15am and arrived Neah Bay at 11:20am. Picked a 2' or less chop day on the water and ran with the tide at about 22mph at 1900 rpm. My son kept me company on this one so was really relaxed and a good time.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
Anthony1013
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Anthony1013 »

That sounds like a great run.... you must have picked the perfect day to run the Straits!

Anthony
28' Albin "MadMoney" in Ilwaco/Seattle
CCA Member & PSA Sno-King Member
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

TD,
Great looking fish. I do have one question. I'm I reading this right?
ran with the tide at about 22mph at 1900 rpm
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

That is correct on most of the trip on smooth water. My lorance indicated a tide current of about 2.3 knots in several places. I normally figure I would run at 19mph at 1900rpm.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it. I do love Lingcod. I caught my first ever, weighing about 14#, under the Narrows bridge on the opener down here. That is a tasty fish, I will have to go back out next year.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I agree that Ling is good---as good or better than Halibut. We kept track this year on the catch for the boat which was: 22 Halibut, 42 Ling and 90 salmon. We didn't keep any Halibut or Ling under 20#'s. My wife caught the two biggest salmon at 37 & 38#'s.
Last edited by TD on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Those are some real nice fish! Looks like you make good use of your Albin. Congrats!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

TD wrote:I agree that Ling is good---as good or better than Halibut. We kept track this year on the catch for the boat which was: 22 Halibut, 42 Ling and 90 salmon. We didn't keep any Halibut or Ling under 20#'s. My wife caught the two biggest salmon at 37 & 38#'s.
Whoa! Take me with you.

Return to “Fishing”