• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-powering A25 - Volvo MD17C to Yanmar 3YM30

Albin's "power cruisers"
MikeF
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Chicago

Re-powering A25 - Volvo MD17C to Yanmar 3YM30

Post by MikeF »

Hi All, this is my first post on this forum. You have a great website here!

I have owned my 1978 A25 since 2003 and have put many hours of work into it over the years. I've been tempted to go for something a little bigger a few times, but the A25 is such a great little boat and it's portability is such a big plus, I am thinking of repowering.

I am particularly interested in hearing from other A25 owners who have re-powered. I have the original Volvo MD17C which starts right up every time and still runs pretty well, but I'm planning a few longer excursions in the future and feel that I'd be better served by a newer engine. I am currently considering the Yanmar 3YM30, but am open to other suggestions. (I've heard good things about the Beta/Kubota as well).

I am particularly curious as to how such a swap would work out in terms of lining up with the shaft and fitting into the existing area and engine cover. (My boat, being the the later 1978 model, does not have the "door" between the engine and salon, but a solid bulkhead).

Also, looking at Dave P's very helpful posts and pics, I see that I may have a bit of a snag with the port side exhaust manifold on the 3YM30, as my exhaust outlet is currently on the starboard side. Though this is probably not an insurmountable problem, as one may be able to run a hose across to the existing muffler outlet.

I would also appreciate any pointers as to where one may find the best deal on a 3YM30 and also what the typical charge would be for the actual labor involved in the swap. The boat is currently on the coast in the Houston area, but I live in the Dallas area.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike A25 "Hornbay"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Re-powering A25 - Volvo MD17C to Yanmar 3YM30

Post by jcollins »

Hi Mike,
Every repower engine qualifies for the Yanmar Instant Rebate. Per engine, owners can save $200 on the YM Series, $300 on the JH Series, $500 on the BY Series, $700 on the LP Series, $1,000 on the LY Series, $1,300 on the CX Series and $1,700 on the SY Series, Yanmar stated. This rebate is only available through participating Yanmar dealers/distributors in North and South America.
If you do repower, don't forget to take advantage of the rebate program. Every little bit helps. My curiosity, in reading your post, is that you say the engine runs fine as it is. How many hours are on this engine? Fill us in on your longer excursions.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
bdbarbour

Post by bdbarbour »

My MD17C just gave up the ghost with a mystery cracked block. I have a 1974 Albin 25 and spent the summer putting on new canvas, cushions, paint and wood. Now it sits quietly in the yard. Any chance you still have you original MD17C?

Thanks, Bruce
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Bruce,
Welcome to AOG. He hasn't posted since June. You may want to send him a PM.

Thanks,

John
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I did a repower of my 1970 Albin 25 last winter using the Yanmar 3YM30. The fit of the engine in the engine box didn't pose any problems and no modifications to the box or the bed were needed. I'm not sure if the Volvo has a drop shaft from the engine crankshaft to the transmission but you need to look at this. You will need to fabricate new engine mounts and you might need to use shims to get the prop shaft alligned properly. My boat had an original Albin engine and the Yanmar has a shorter length. I replaced the prop shaft with a one inch shaft and added a self alligning support bearing at the rear of the engine box and another bushing just forward of where the shaft goes into the shaft tube. I used high modulus plastic bushings that will last the life of the boat. I posted a number of pictures of the new installation on this site and the Albin Cruisers website if you are interested. Dave 1970 Albin 25 Ticaboo
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Hi Mike:
I was wondering if you put a Yanmar 3YM30 in your A25, or if you are still considering the engine swap. If you haven't done the engine swap, I'll be happy to give you information about where I got my engine and the labor involved in doing the installation.

Dave P
1970 Albin 25 Series 2 #575

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”