• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Covered slip - dropping the mast

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Covered slip - dropping the mast

Post by brookesmith »

I've rented a slip 17 1/2' tall for the 36 DC I'm in the process of buying. Trying to figure how you drop the mast to go into the slip and get it back up. The mast seems to be a P.I.A. It appears it can only drop forward to the windshield. This means the bimini has to go down each time too. The boat I'm buying has a radar on the mast too. Not sure how heavy and awkward this is going to be to every-time we go in and out of the slip .
So who out there is in a covered slip with a mast? Any suggestions?
Waiting on the go ahead to purchase from the surveyor before I take the boat to it's new covered slip home. I think I need a push button operation of the mast and bimini? HA
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Covered slip - dropping the mast

Post by jcollins »

Can't comment on the mast but I wanted to let you know I checked out your site. Very nice boat. A tub! He has a tub!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
BobR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BobR »

Nice boat.
When I bought my 1988 36' last spring it took three guys to raise the mast. It really isn't "very" heavy it is mainly awkward to managing all the lines and wires. I am having the marina lower it for me this fall when I store it indoors. My mast drops to stern of the boat onto a supporting pole. I can send you a picture in a few days if you would like.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I can easily lower mine to "half mast" position by myself, which is 19 feet. I can run the boat that way. I can also lower it all the way with the help of my first mate. either takes very little strength.
You can make your half mast position 17 feet and clear the height you need.
I don't have a good pic showing the rig but I'll try to describe it.
I built a rig using a cheap ($9.95) ebay block and tackle. 4 pulleys over 3. I mounted a stainless pad eye into the molded in seat back on the flybridge, as high as I could get it. Then I mounted a pad eye on the mast. I use a line from the mast to the pulley hook since the B&T doesn't have enough throw. The other hook gets mounted to the seat pad eye with a small shackle.
I then disconnect the forward stays.
Then I lower the mast. I made some measurements to know where the top was, then measured the length needed to make up the difference of the forward stay wires. I made "extensions" for each side using True Value wire cable, thimbles, and clamps.
I simply hook those up to the stays and the hard mounts, now the mast rests on wire cables and is secure. Tie the mast down aft and it can't bounce. I ran the whole trip from Rochester to the Hudson that way.
If I need to lower the mast completely onto it's crutch, I don't hook the extensions up. I can reach the mast just below the half position so my first mate lowers it onto my shoulder and I only have a couple of feet to lower it.
I've been using and improving this rig for 4 years and it is awsum.
I got the idea from another trawler owner who must get under a low bridge to get in and out of his marina.
Next improvement might be a swivel bracket so I can use my radr when at half mast.
Hope this helps.
I can try to get pictures this weekend if you'd like.
AttAdj.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

THANKS EVERYONE Covered slip - dropping the mast

Post by brookesmith »

We closed the deal today. Our Boat formerly named Queen Mary is now LIQUID THERAPY. We loaded stuff on it today and will be moving from Portsmouth to Deltaville, VA soon.
My plan is I'm going to leave the mast up until I get to the fuel dock at Deltaville Marina. I like the block and tackle idea. It seems most people can lower their mast to towards aft. Mine will have to tilt forward and lay on the windshield. Anyhow I'd take the mast off if I could figure something else I could do with the radar antenna. I'm thinking I can hold on to the boom, using it for leverage as the mast tilts forward. at lest until I can't hand on. Mabe i can use some of those pulleys on the mast riigging. If i have a eureka moment I'll post it here. If it causes and insurance claim I will not tell you what I did wrong.

Thanks
Brooke Smith
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brookesmith »

OK I got it into the slip. I dropped the mast forward which meant I also had to drop the bimini. Lots of work. And, the radar wire didn't have enough slack as I tilted the mast forward. To drop the mast aft I will have to cut my rail and install a gate. I believe that is going to be done really soon. The block and tackle idea from jleonard sounds like the easiest method for dropping the mast to the rear.
Also, I backed this beast in the slip. I am a twin engine guy and was pretty helpless looking getting it in there. BUT, no insurance claims!!!! So, that's success.
I believe I'm going to go bow in next time. I actually believe this may be better for power cables and boarding. Right now we are boarding from the swim platform as the finger pier does not extend far enough down either side to the gates which are rather far forward. LATER
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107

Return to “36/37/40/43”