• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hydraulic steering reservoir

brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Horn Harbor Marina Port Haywood, VA

Hydraulic steering reservoir

Post by brookesmith »

I'm still discovering things on our 1979 Albin 36 we recently purchased. I found the hydraulic steering reservoir while looking at the wiring behind the lower helm. So, the fluid level is low and I'm showing 20psi on the gauge. Of course there is no manual about the hydraulic steering. So, it seems I can just take the gauge off slowly letting the pressure off and add ATF- then screw the gauge valve back on and put pressure back on the system. Is it just that simple?
Millard C. Smith ( Brooke )
brookesmith at yahoo dot com
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/liquidtherapy
Boatmon

Re: Hydraulic steering reservoir

Post by Boatmon »

I have spiral bound copies of the original Hynautic inc, manual. if you still need info on the steering system send me a message.

-Michael
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

I do not currently have in PDF format, but I can check with the admiral to see if she has time to do scan it in.

Our 36 was a one owner boat, so we have all of the original manuals and operators guides as well as the purchase documentation and many many years of service records. It's pretty neat just to look through that stuff.

What generator do you havs aboard? ours is a Westerbeke 5kw, we've got book for that too.

Let me know if we can help with any info.

-Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

No Generator - Inverter

Post by brookesmith »

Michael - what a cool picture. looks like you are going to run over your fly bridge. Where did you end up docking your boat? Or, do you park it in your driveway and just take it to a ramp launching on weekends?
our boat does not have a generator. I actually didn't want one. Gonna put a 3kw inverter on there. It will not run A/C and that's about all it will not run. I don't need A/C when underway. But I sure want it as soon as I get to the dock. I'm not a fan of anchoring out overnight when a generator could be nice. I never sleep when I anchor out. Just can't.
The 3KW Inverter will run microwave , coffee pot and even the admiral's hair dryer. All of of those sock it to the house battery and the lehman's alternator cannot keep up the demand either. But, for short uses of moderate wattage devices 120vac the inverter will work just fine and the alternator will replace the draw down over time.
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have Hynautic steering instructions in PDF format.
I think they are on my work computer I'll have to look tomorrow.
If indeed I do have them I will get them into the library on this site via John Collins.
Stay tuned.....

I DO have them and I just e mailed to John. I suspect they will appear in the library within a day or so.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

jleonard wrote:I have Hynautic steering instructions in PDF format.
I think they are on my work computer I'll have to look tomorrow.
If indeed I do have them I will get them into the library on this site via John Collins.
Stay tuned.....

I DO have them and I just e mailed to John. I suspect they will appear in the library within a day or so.
Posted in the document library. Thank you Jay!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
brookesmith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by brookesmith »

I did take the pressure off and topped the reservoir. Getting the pressure back o was a little more difficut. I used a 12 v tire pump and when trying to get it off the valve stem I'd loose alomsot all the pressure. I finally went over the 40 psi limit and then got it off ~30psi. All seems ok.
2367 Old Church Rd.
Mechanicsville, VA 23111
804-779-3234 home
804-338-1227 cell

Liquid Therapy
1979 36' Albin DC
MTOA 4107

Return to “36/37/40/43”