• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replacement bulwarks scuppers??

Boatmon

Replacement bulwarks scuppers??

Post by Boatmon »

Good Morning All,

Our 1982 Ablin 36 classic is in need of deck scuppers, has anyone found an acceptable after market replacement for the flimsy fiberglass originals?? Any info or guidance would be appreciated.

-Michael
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Replacement bulwarks scuppers??

Post by jakevr »

mine are all cracked and way undersized on my 43... i was thinking about making bronze ones and installing those. maybe 2x5 inches in size..
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Making or having made? Either way I might be interested in getting in on that, if your willing. We have one that is damaged beyond repair and the remainder are cracked and not installed very well. We were thinking of something in stainless, but aren't having any luck finding something ready made. I have not checked yet with New Found Metals, they have had a good selection in the past.

we'll keep looking, but let me know if you're able to put something together.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

IF you had one to use as a pattern..or if you MADE a pattern out of wood, you could have them cast in bronze.
That would not be awfully expensive except for the post casting machining/polishing but you could do that yourself.
There are lots of small casting shops around.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Boatmon

Scuppers??

Post by Boatmon »

We Just heard such of such a shop this weekend, this restorer guy I know has had several different pieces made over the years.

Thank you jleonard for the input, we were looking for ready made but I'd really rather not alter the original look of her too much if we can help it. I like the Idea of bronze scuppers alot, we will certainly look into this. jakevr; let me know if you are going to proceed with yours, and are interested in sharing some of the costs and sources. If not I understand, and we will have to set something up locally. Ours are bad enough that I'd really rather not use them next year if we don't have too.

:?: Would any body else be interested in bronze, or possibly chromed bronze scuppers to replace the factory fiberglass ones?
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

i could fab some for you if you wanted. can you send me a drawing of what you had in mind?
dmonteiro
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by dmonteiro »

I replaced all (8) of my scuppers. Bought them from West Marine. They can be found in their 2008 Catalog, They can also be found in their online catalog. The scuppers are two piece telescopic and are a great fit. Their cost is about $40.00 each.
1978 Albin 36
jmatlaga
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jmatlaga »

I made mine with fiberglass casted from a rubber mold.The female rubber mold was made with a male plug carved with modelers clay.Like the bonehead I am, I lost one and had to make 2 more with a plaster cast. If you want pictures let me know.
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

dmonteiro wrote:I replaced all (8) of my scuppers. Bought them from West Marine. They can be found in their 2008 Catalog, They can also be found in their online catalog. The scuppers are two piece telescopic and are a great fit. Their cost is about $40.00 each.

Can you post pics of the finished product? We're trying to keep things fairly original, but I like the thought of ready made. Still have not checked into the local option for bronze castings, We have enough other projects happening (upholstery, windows, all the wood, all the stainless, swim platform, bow sprit, and not leastly, we have lifted the bridge to seal up all possible water in-lets and patch up screw holes) that I just haven't made it a priority yet.
dmonteiro
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by dmonteiro »

I do not have pictures of the scuppers yet. I will try to get some and post them. I forgot to mention that West Marine has them listed on their instore online catalog.
1978 Albin 36
Despacio
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Despacio »

I got out my Dremil tool and ground out the cracked glass, and laid up new scuppers, using very small pieces of 6 oz cloth and West Epoxy.

They turned out nice and no longer are funnels for water to pour below.

Return to “36/37/40/43”