• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

albin engines

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

albin engines

Post by te102056 »

I am considering buying a 1980 that has two lehman 120 engines. They only have 600 hours on them. They have been sitting for 2 years. Will they be damaged from sitting so long. Will I need to empty the tank?
Thanks
Tom
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: albin engines

Post by jleonard »

At 600 hours they aren't broken in yet. These are 8,000-10,000 hour engines.
After sitting I would turn over with the stop button pushed until you see oil pressure register on the gage. Then release and fire up.
Run then 30 minutes then shut down and change oil & filter. Get any condensation out for good.
I would take the entire sea water system apart and clean/inspect. Don't mess around.
There are many upgrades that are available for those enignes. I suggest you do them. There is a new seawater pump worth doing for sure. I did with no regrets.
What's in the tank is a crap shoot (no pun intended). I would dose it heavy with Startron additive...double the shocking dose.
When I bought my single screw Lehman it sat for 2 years with only maybe 10 hours per year run time. On my maiden voyage, an 80 hour, 10 day run, I was clogging fuel filters every 6 to 8 running hours. They were set up with 2 micron elements. Once I got "home" I changed to a multi stage system. No more problems!
Running only 2 micron is bad. You'll clog elements quickly. I run 30 micron to 10 to the on engine elements which are 7 micron. I get a whole season on a filter set now.

Lehman engines and parts are well supported by American Diesel Corp (www.adc.com) They ship same day so you will never have a problem getting parts or great advice, troubleshooting help, etc.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”