• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

North Carolina to Maine, TE 28

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Tom Myers

North Carolina to Maine, TE 28

Post by Tom Myers »

Although the TE 28 is basically a weekender, we decided to stretch ours into a "Coastal Cruiser" last summer. We left Beaufort, North Carolina on the Southern Outer Banks and cruised north to Southwest Harbor, Maine and back. Total time = 9 weeks, approx. 2800 statute miles, 1,406 gallons of fuel and a wonderful time. We have a 2001 TE 28 with the 6BTA 330 hp Cummins. It is a "Plain Jane" (no heat or air, no generator, no autopilot and no electric anchor winch), but we have a good chart plotter and a simple radar. Just a simple basic boat! We spent about 7 of the 9 weeks sleeping on the boat each night, the remainder being 2-3 days ashore every couple of weeks at the home of friends along the way.

A highlight was joining the Maine Albin Rendezvous near Harpswell, ME. for 3 days of visiting with Albin owners we had know only from email. There were nine A-25s and A-27s. We were the only A-28, but they welcomed us and awarded us the trophy for coming the longest distance (a washed up Maine lobster pot float).

The biggest limitation on the A-28 for extended cruising is the small size of the holding tank and the limited number of working pump out stations.

Tom Myers
TE - 28
Beaufort, NC
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Pump out stations? What are those? :wink:
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Yeah right! Pump out what?

Guess I'm lucky. Out here in Bermuda holding tanks are not required. Just as well. There is no place to pump them.

Before everyone goes EEEEEEYUUUUCK!, by comparisson to big US boating areas we have very little boat traffic. We have a good tidal flow twice a day &, besides, just where does everyone think the fish dump?
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Just about every marina in our area has one. I never gave it that much thought. That could be a problem on a long trip.

Tom, did you keep a daily diary of the trip? How was the Chesapeake leg?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tom Myers

North Carolina to Maine, TE28

Post by Tom Myers »

Yes, we kept a daily log of the whole trip. Northbound through the Ches. and Delaware Bays = Pungo Ferry, VA, Deltaville, VA, Solomons, MD, Deale, MD, Rhode River, MD, Rock Hall, MD, Summit North in Middletown, DE (in C&D Canal), Lewes, DE. Southbound = Cape May, NJ, C&D Canal, St. Michaels, MD, Oxford, MD, Solomons, MD, Deltaville, VA, Coinjock, NC. The Ches. Bay was great except for a short but violent thunder storm off Deltaville, between Wolf Trap Pt. and Stingray Pt. Seas over the cabin top for a few minutes. The size of the range towers marking the ship channel north of the Bay Bridge was a big surprise. They are so tall, we had trouble reconciling them with the chart since they were visible for such long distances and were right in the middle of the Bay. Our range markers are simple skeleton towers and much lower, usually on shore.

Return to “Cruising”