• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propane system

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Propane system

Post by jleonard »

1983 Albin 40, gas grill style propane tank mounted under the flybridge helm. The regulator that attches to the tank, which looks OEM, has a check valve/orifice fitting that is attached to the exit of the regulator. It was stuck closed after winter as it was last spring.
It is cleared now, but since it happened twice and I no longer trust it it has to go.
Any thought on why it is there? None of the more modern regulators I looked at have an additional check valve. The ones sold in Defender, West, etc. do not have this added check valve. (perhaps the modern ones are built in?)
Do I need it? Can I simply take it out of the system? Or maybe I'd be better off buying a new regulator?
Thoughts?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Daryl
Mate
Mate

Re: Propane system

Post by Daryl »

Some of those older systems are a hazard. I had a similiar set up on my 1980 Albin 33. No electric solonoid, no propane sniffer, no safety equipment, an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't cost much to do a proper upgrade to the system, I did.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

I have the solenoid. The issue is the regulator only.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Propane on the water scares the bageebers outta me, bought a brand new 30# tank that my never be installed. We're leaning pretty hard towards removing the stove (which needs replacing anyway) and propane system and installing an Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove or stove/oven combo....We've had these on two other boats and really like them.

what are the general thoughts on the propane subject here?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

what are the general thoughts on the propane subject here?
Actually the alcohol scares me more than propane.
Yes propane "sinks" because it is heavier than air, but there are some safeties such as a solenoid shut off valve, outside venting for the propane tank, the old "sniffer", alarms are available, etc.

I really like the convenience of propane.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

We have a little portable Magma grill with the angled mount that fits into a cockpit rod holder. Came with the boat, former owner used it once; we haven't yet. Our galley stove is a diesel-fired Wallas that replaced the original portable butane stove. The Wallas also heats the cabin well during the winter and uses a negligible amount of fuel.

I absolutely agree, propane on a boat is dangerous. Like all other marine systems, if it always works perfectly then OK, but when something corrodes, gets pinched or justs sits too long unused, the consequences can be deadly. This is generally not the case with your other systems. I'm reluctant even to carry the small propane tank that screws onto the Magma's regulator.

My only concern with the Origo is that burning alcohol produces a lot of water vapor inside your boat. If you know how to deal with that and are used to the setup you should be good to go.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Actually the alcohol scares me more than propane.
If the alcohol ispressurized then I totally agree that it's a scary as propane or more. But the denatured alcohol in the Origo batts (much like a Zippo lighter) is a really nice way to go. Just pour it into the batt, the flame control is a mechanical damper that cuts out the air. A Gallon will usually last all summer. If there is a spill or leak, the excess simply evaporates.

We also have a Magma grill on the 36, and had one on each of the sailboats. We wouldn't be without it! we grill every piece of meat, poultry or fish that we eat, at home or on the water. The one pound cans don't bother me, it's the big can and the stove/oven as well as the line I cannot see.
WLW-Waterstorageandreplacementstoves_E265-image_4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We had an Origo alcohol stove on our A 27 and it cooked wonderfully for 10 years - now have an Origo alcohol/electric stove on our A 34 and used it this past weekend - perfect! Usually cooking with open ports and moisture has not been a problem - the extra heat is nice on cooler days. Coffee is ready in very little time in the AM. We have a grill too. No experience with a propane system - had one on my parents Stonington Motor sailor when growing up and can remember the smell of the propane - not good! Marcy
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

You may want to look at CNG (compressed natural gas) as an alternative. Pros - same convenience as propane; safer because natural gas is lighter than air and naturally ventilates; probably can use the existing propane stove; little change to existing propane system. Cons - fewer places to fill the tank; an existing propane stove needs the jets changed for CNG.

The critical item is availability of CNG in your cruising area. It's alot safer than propane but the extra inconvenience may not be worth it. There is also the issue of availability of proper jets for your stove.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Nothing like the Magna Grill, I love it. Cooks meat real well, uses disposable (recycleable) 1 lb cans purchased at Target 2 for $5,49 one can stays usually last two weekends with several hours of cook time. I feel much safer only having to store smaller cans aboard. Nothing like seeing eyes light up when breaking out the Magna Grill & popping on Marinated Shishkebabs & ribs for a hungry crew. Great price at Wholesalemarine.com :lol:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

The check valve stuck closed agian this weekend so I finally time to go to Defender and buy a new regulator.
Now the stove works better than it had in a long time. Nice hot flames, once again. New one had a gage so it's better than it was.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

I realize this post is over four years but figured it would be a good place to post a question regarding propane systems on classic trawlers. Has anyone reconfigured their propane system to conform with current Coast Guard/ABYC safety standards? Our 20 lb. "gas grill" style tank lives on the flybridge and is not in a dedicated propane locker that vents over the side. I am looking to install a dedicated propane tank locker but am not sure where to put it. I have seating all around the flybridge (see pic) so there is no 'spare' real estate to install a locker. I am considering putting it inside one seats/benches aft and venting out the back of the flybridge. Venting from it's current location makes no sense since it would possibly vent right through an open window where the stove is. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

One of my bridge seats is a cooler (with no insulation) that drains overboard. That's where I store my 1 lb tanks for the grill.
But I'm leaving the 20 lb tank under the helm.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

Plenty of room in the storage area under the helm on our 36. That's where our tank is.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
jrose
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Midland, Ontario

Post by jrose »

I'm facing the same problem on my 1987 Albin 40. My tanks are under the flybridge helm. The surveyor reported that was not safe and the insurance company wants it fixed. I was thinking of installing the propane locker on the swim platform. It could then feed my barbecue, which is attached on the port side and the propane stove and would be easy to vent overboard as required.

Return to “36/37/40/43”