• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Macerator

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Macerator

Post by rangoons »

I have a stupid newbie question. To pump out the head is there a valve that I have to open before I turn on the macerator?
I have a 1998 28 TE
Rangoons
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

After looking at the drawings, it's pretty evident that there are muliple configurations of head installations. On my 99 28 TE I have an electric head that pumps sea water into the toilet and on to the holding tank. Once in the tank, all I have to do is hook the marina's pump out hose to my deck plate and suck out the contents. I also have a macerator pump that allows me to pump my tank overboard ( illegal ). To use this option I do have to turn a valve which is between the tank and the macerator pump...of course there is also a thru hull that has to be opened. .
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

Thanks Chief,
I.ve been told in Mass. outside of 3 miles it is legal to pump out. It is not the preferred way but not illigal.
Rangoons
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My setup is the same except not electric. But, the overboard discharge hose is dis-connected and capped off. I thought that was CG inland rules?
By the way, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid answers. I have asked dozens of questions about my Albin. It's the only way to learn. I even started this board. It's not because I'm smart, it's because I can lurk out here on a rainy day and learn. (Chief - no design changes this weekend)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Caution

Post by SpaceCoaster »

Rangoons,

Mine has the same diverter valve (Y-valve) to select between the output of the holding tank going to the deck outlet (for pump out) or to the seacock (for dumping offshore).

Just a word of caution in case your boat has the same Y-valve as mine did. I'm not sure if it was original equipment, but mine had a forespar Y-valve with a flimsy handle. It looked like this:

It took great care to turn it from one position to the other and not break the handle. Well, after a couple of years the darn thing gave out. I replaced it with a beefier valve and it works like a charm. Also a Forespar product, but instead of the skinny/flimsy handle it has a more sturdy handle.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

As for whether or not you have to open a valve, that is something you will have to determine by following hoses. Most newer boats with macerator or discharge pumps do not require a valve to be opened, but some do.

As for the legality, if you're outside the three mile line anywhere in the US, you're ok to discharge waste that has a fecal coloform count below a certain number and has no visible solid floating waste. My understanding is that adding an environmentally safe holding tank treatment, and running it through a macerator pump typically achieves this level. Around here, due to depth of the water, strong tidal flushing, and inaccessability of pumpouts, it is pretty normal to discharge into the water, even if you're not a full three miles from shore. NEVER discharge in a harbor or while not underway, for obvious reasons.

It is NOT illegal to have the capability to pump overboard. At one time, it was, but that has been relaxed. However, if you do have a head, you ARE required to have a holding tank. The logic being that if you cant hold it, you can't treat it.
rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rangoons »

thanks all. Jorge, where is your valve located?
Rangoons
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Y-Valve Location

Post by SpaceCoaster »

The Y-valve on my boat is located just forward of the Holding Tank, just aft of the macerator pump. The following drawing is close to representative of the head system on the Bella.

[Credit goes to The Chief for the drawing] :)

The exception that I notice above is that there appears to be a Y-Valve (shown just under the toilet in the drawing) that I don't have iin my installation. It appears that this would permit you to send black water directly from the head to an overboard thru-hull w/o going through the macerator pump. ?? That seems odd to me.

Another thing to note is that the Y-valve shown is the one with the cheap handle. Go with something sturdier than this type model which you can get at the about the same price.

I hope this helps.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

You first need to get your head (pardon the pun) around which is the common flow & which way the stuff is going. The 32 has a similar plumbing system to the 28.

Problems occur from lack of use of the valves. It does not take long for them to seize due to buildup of calcium, I think, inside. If it does not move easily, don't force it. This will result in a broken handle or worse, you might find yourself in deep doo doo.

I bought my 32 at 4 years old. I don't think the first owner had ever moved the valves. They were solid. Careful dismantling fixed that.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
allanhendry
Mate
Mate

Electric flush with fresh water connection

Post by allanhendry »

I am told if I use fresh water to flush my toilet, it will help reduce the terrible smell we endure when using the manual sea water pump, so I decided to but an electric flush freshwater Jabsco toilet, I have not fitted it in yet, any tips?

P.S. The drawing of the head and discharge system is a great help

Thank you
Allan Hendry
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Allenhendry, I installed a Jabsco fresh water toilet last year. It works very well by the way. I removed the hose from the through hull fitting and plugged it off and closed the through hull valve. I taped into the fresh water line next to the hot water heater and installed a shut off valve, then ran the line up next to the unused raw water line on the stbd. side then into the cabinet under the head sink. I mounted the flushing solenoid to the bulkhead under the sink and then ran the water line up to supply the head. I had a red wire all coiled up already in that cabinet, installed at the factory I suppose, and I used that wire to supply the power for the solenoid and the switches. I had to remove the circuit breaker panel to find the other end of that wire so that I could connect it to 12v power. I mounted the flushing switches on the end of the molded in cabinet next to the head. I also took out all the flex waste hose and installed new PVC solid pipe back to the holding tank. It was a pretty straight shot for the pipe and now I dont' have to worry about hoses leaking. The only problem I had last year was the solenoid valve on the water supply started to leak while we were on vacation, so I had to keep shutting off the water to the solenoid valve. I called Jabsco and they sent me a new valve right away and that fixed the problem. You should have no problems and the install is pretty straight forward. D.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
allanhendry
Mate
Mate

Post by allanhendry »

Denis thanks for the info, you have given me the confidence to embark on this..:)
Allan Hendry
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Or you can do what we do. Use the shower head to fill the toilet and then flush it. Cost $00.00 and never worry about any infiltration into your domestic fresh water system. :wink:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
allanhendry
Mate
Mate

Electric Flush

Post by allanhendry »

Thanks Dennis for your help, I managed to replace Hand pump and Salt Water with Electric and Fresh Water, it went very easy!!

Chiefrcd

Thanks for you advice, I was doing what you suggested but my wife wanted something more perminent..:)
Allan Hendry

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”