• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Algae-X

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Wait until someone puts up a post on Synthetic Oils..... :P :P :P
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

chiefrcd wrote:Wait until someone puts up a post on Synthetic Oils..... :P :P :P
At least we avoid the "this boat is crap" vs. "this boat is the greatest ever made" stuff on the other forums!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Well, that's pretty easy for most of us...we KNOW which boat is the best 8)
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel polishing

Post by N4QC »

Mike:

If that fuel pump is Item #109595 from Northern Tool be wary of the fact that it has a 30 minute duty cycle…

As for the Water Block 15 micron filter (Goldenrod), it is rated at 5 gal/m gravity flow. I am concerned as to how it will operate under pressure as I too have just purchased a Golednrod filter unit in order to up grade my fuel polishing system.

Currently, my jury rigged system consists of a length of 5/16” fuel line inserted into a length of 1/2” PVC pipe which is placed into the fuel tank thru the fuel gage port. The fuel line is then feed into a fuel siphon bulb. The bulb helps prime the pump and helps to clear the pick up fuel line if it becomes clogged. The out put of the siphon bulb is feed into a Purolator F21111 in line fuel filter rated at about 6.6 g/h and 57 psi. The siphon bulb came with various adapters for different size fuel lines and I as able to make a transition to 3/8” lines.

The Purolator filter serves as a particle filter and it has a clear housing where one can view what is happening. The output of the Purolator filter enters into a modified 4LH-DTE Yanmar engine fuel filter. (It was made up of components from the old Yanmar housing, which I had replaced, and fitted with a Racor 30m filter.) This modified filter serves as a water separator and “diesel bug” trap. (I have a very interesting collection of crud samples now. Just need to figure out what it all is…) From the Yanmar filter the output is feed into a Purolator S12 fuel pump and thence back into the tank via a 3/8” clear hose and the fuel gage port.

This is not a system where it can be left unattended. The overall flow rate is about 5 gph, which in the scheme of things for me, is acceptable. This is because I am able to place my boat on its lift in such a way that fuel tank has its lowest point under the fuel gage access port. I also agitate the fuel to stir things up by running some compressed air thru a piece of PVC pipe into the tank – no need to make a rough sea run… Also, it is a 144-gal tank and is about half full when polishing.

The Purolator components were purchased from Advance Auto… Filters about $3 each, pump was a little over $30… First filter I used lasted about 40 minutes – much better than changing the Racor that frequently… The Yanmar-Racor was drained periodically and changed as needed. After the first few sessions of polishing the time periods between filter changes have increased. I am up to about 8 hours on the Purolator and 24 hours on the Racor. Things must be getting better…

I don’t seem to get out as often as I would like…

To get back on track - I am still not convinced that Algae-X, by its self, is the way to go. Clean fuel is the only way. How to get there is still debatable, as local conditions will dictate what is best.

Anyone with any insight on condensation in fuel tanks? A new topic here, for me, would be of interest…

Have fun,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StockHR »

N4QC, thanks in fact I was looking at the 30 minute duty cycle. I guess that means you can only run it for 30 minutes at a time. If you go to the Algae-X web site it is the same pump that is on their small portable unit. I was actually going to buy their complete system that has a pump, timer, and filter but $2300 is expensive. I think I'll still go with some sort of home made unit and see what happens.

Mike

Return to “General Discussion”