• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Visiting Lake Tashmoo, Martha's Vineyard

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Visiting Lake Tashmoo, Martha's Vineyard

Post by DougSea »

Hi all,

I had a recent e-mail from Craig (JerseyNSC40) asking about anchoring in Lake Tashmoo so I thought I'd post some info for all of you here.

My wife Kathy and I decided to do a stay there back in late June, based on comments made by RicM after one of his voyages. (I believe it was "Le Grande Formage...)

I read up on it and what the guides tell you, and we found correct, is that there's a marked but fairly narrow channel that brings you into the lake, with sandy shoals to either side, but plenty of water for our 3' draft. We entered on in incoming tide, probably about 1/3 into the flood, and had no issues. This I've found is another advantage of the flybridge; great view of the water right in front of you!

Once you're through the channel to the south it widens out considerably and there is good water most everywhere. In the picture below, taken from Google Earth, you can see the shoals at the entrance.

I've also marked our "spot" with a small circle. We spent the night there in about 19' of water, no issue with holding, but I've got a great anchor and ground tackle, so I wasn't expecting any issues.

I drew a line in green that marks the western edge of the mooring field in the harbor. I didn't see anything that said where you had to anchor, but west of the line, leaving room for boats to get through and clear of the moorings seemed good to me. There were also a number of boats anchored to our south, just outside of "Drew's Cove", the narrow section at the southern end.

I also marked, with a red arrow, the location of the town dingy dock. You can leave your tender there and walk up Lake Street to Vineyard Haven. It's an easy, 20-30 minute walk.

Ric had reported that he'd been told by some locals that anchoring isn't allowed in Tashmoo. The Tisbury website says otherwise. So don't let anyone chase you out!

http://www.tisburyma.gov/Pages/TisburyM ... aster/faqs

Any questions, just let me know. It was a beautiful spot, although it's probably a bit more crowded in season than it was for us. We're headed back there next year.
LakeTashmoo-Anchor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Visiting Lake Tashmoo, Martha's Vineyard

Post by jleonard »

but I've got a great anchor and ground tackle, so I wasn't expecting any issues.
:D
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Thanks Doug, last time I was in there was about 20 years ago in a sailboat drawing 4 feet and we made it. The NSC 40 does draw closer to 4 so we should be good, I am surprised you wwer3e in 19 feet! I have a good anchor and 100 feet of chain so we should hold also.
Glad to know you can now find a spot for a dinghy and a short walk to town.

Hope to hit it at the end of the month, thanks for all the good info.

Craig
JerseyNSC40
AlbinNSC40
Craig
cruizen
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Virginia Beach

Post by cruizen »

My fiance and I are getting married at the end of June 2012, and my other half loves to cruise...so I was hoping to take him up along east coast. By the way, he is the Albin owner. Our first holiday together was Boston & Cape Cod, then we did a day trip across to MV and Nantucket. So, now I'm wanting to stay on the island!

I don't really want to hire a car, so I'm hoping that there is a okay public transport service on the island?

We'll be happy to relax for a few days, do some sightseeing and shopping. More interested in dining out rather than drinking and clubbing - so I was wondering do you think Marthas Vineyard is an OK place for a honeymoon? I got a little information at this Marthas Vineyard weddings place but I would love to hear from people who are very familiar with it. Let me know if you can offer me some advice and information!
waterhound

Post by waterhound »

Where on the island do you want to stay? If in vineyard haven/oak bluffs or edgartown, a car is optional as mv transit has a good bus service and can even take you to the south side beaches. Are you going to take the Albin? Or are you staying ashore for the festivities?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

cruizen wrote:My fiance and I are getting married at the end of June 2012, and my other half loves to cruise...so I was hoping to take him up along east coast. By the way, he is the Albin owner. Our first holiday together was Boston & Cape Cod, then we did a day trip across to MV and Nantucket. So, now I'm wanting to stay on the island!

I don't really want to hire a car, so I'm hoping that there is a okay public transport service on the island?

We'll be happy to relax for a few days, do some sightseeing and shopping. More interested in dining out rather than drinking and clubbing - so I was wondering do you think Marthas Vineyard is an OK place for a honeymoon? I got a little information at this Marthas Vineyard weddings place but I would love to hear from people who are very familiar with it. Let me know if you can offer me some advice and information!
Wow, I'm really late responding to this!! Sorry!

My bride Kathy and I did in fact honeymoon on the Vineyard 25 years ago, so yes, I'd say it's a great spot! (And we were back for our 25th this past October)

The end of June is right on the cusp of the busy season, if you get there before the schools all get out it will be much quieter but everything should be open.

I realize you've likely made your plans by now, if they include the Vineyard drop me a note and I'll try to answer any questions.

Best of luck on your upcoming nuptials!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Cruising”