• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Puget Sound, San Juans Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands...

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Puget Sound, San Juans Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands...

Post by jcollins »

I <snipped> this from one of Mariner's posts. Very good information here.

Puget Sound is where I live and do the vast majority of my boating. Although it has some spectactular scenery, both natural and man-made, it is by far the most "urban" area. Modern marinas are plentiful, fuel is easy to find, and shoreside ammenities abound. Puget Sound is divided into three main sections: North, South, and Hood Canal. Hood Canal is the least attractive area to recreational boaters, primarily because it is somewhat inacessible. The entrance is blocked by a floating bridge which must be opened to allow passage (though I think a TE 28 would fit under). Immediately beyond that is Submarine Base Bangor, which restricts travel through the area (though you can skirt the shore and get through). There is little in the way of marinas or protected anchorages, but the scenery is amazing. Everything from sweeping views of the Olympic Mountains to bald eagles snatching their dinner from the water. The fishing and crabbing is some of the best around. Since you will be trailering, you can access Hood Canal more readily. There are several state parks with launching ramps in the south end. I highly sugget

South Sound is more popular, but somewhat underappreciated. Seperated from the rest of the Sound by the Tacoma Narrows, it is decidedly more laid back. Commercial traffic is mostly limited to log tows and wood chip barges. Once you get out of the main channels, it's just you, the water, and the trees. The farther you go into South Sound, the more beautiful it is. The best place to launch there is Olympia's East Bay Marina. I've seen very large boats launched from their ramp (on lowboy trailers towed by semis). Olympia is a great place to visit, but I suggest actually staying in Percival's Landing, rather than the East Bay, since it's in the heart of the city and has more character. Other places to be sure to visit in South Sound include McMicken Island, Oro Bay, Stretch/Reach Island, Hammersly Inlet (very long and shallow with strong current, but worth at least poking into), and Cutts Island. Basically, there are hundreds of places to check out, not all of them on the map.

North Sound is much more populated. There is nearly constant commerical traffic ranging from tugs with barges, large container ships, ferries, and tour boats. If you're bypassing South Sound your best bet is probably to launch in Tacoma. In Tacoma, I would recommend using a sling to launch if possible. There is really only one public ramp that would be suitable for you, and it is at the bottom of a very steep hill and extremely busy in the summer. Plus, I think the ramp would be a bit steep, narrow, and slipper for you. What's more, it involves a long trek through the residential neighborhoods of the city on it's aging roads. The two best slings in the area are probably the one at Foss Waterway Marina, and the heavy duty travelift at Modutech Marine. Both are easily accessible from the freeway for large rigs. Modutech is easier, but Foss would be fine and is probably considerably cheaper (Modutech is a full service shipyard, while Foss is a marina that happens to have a sling to launch boats). Places to visit in the North sound are plentiful, though few are really "out of the way". I would visit Gig Harbor, Dockton on Vashon Island, Blake Island, Poulsbo, Bainbridge (there are several bays), Mats-Mats Bay, Port Townsend, and, of course, Seattle. In Seattle, you definitely want to be sure to try to get into Bell Harbor Marina. It's right in downtown and is walking distance to Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, and Qwest and Safeco Fields. If you feel adventurous, you can lock through to Lake Union and Lake Washington. But, to be honest, I'd probably skip that, since you won't likely have the time to deal with that. Port Townsend is the jumping-off point for all things north. It is where you stay the night before crossing the Straights of Juan de Fuca to the San Juan Islands. If you can, reserve a slip in Point Hudson Marina. It's right the city's eclectic and historical downtown. There is a travelift there, as well as an excellent ramp at the nearby Boat Haven Marina, but due to the long drive necessary to get there, I would't launch or retrieve there. Another alternative to getting north is to head through the Swinomish slew. If so, be sure to stop at LaConner, a cute little town on the waterway.

The San Juan Islans are spectacular. I spent two weeks there on the boat last summer and barely scratched the surface. The only catch is that in the summer, they're also very crowded with pleasureboat traffic. If you bypass Puget Sound, the best place to launch is Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes. They have a large sling that can easily handle your boat. There are no suitable launching ramps anywhere nearby. Don't ask me how I know. Places to be sure to visit in the San Juans are Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, Deer Harbor, Spencer Spit, Sucia Island (if you go only one place, go here), Stewart Island, Rosairo Resort, Eastsound and Westsound. The reality is that the list is endless. There are just so many places to visit.

Canadian Gulf Islands. It's been a while since I've been up there, but they're basically the same group of islands as the San Juans, but on the Canadian side of the border. The hassle of clearing customs makes it so that you usually want to do one, then the other, and not hop back and forth. From Stuart Island, Bedwell Harbor where you clear customs is just a quick jaunt across Haro Straight. I can't recall all the places you'd want to visit, and I'd just leave something out, so I won't try.

Desolation Sound/Princess Louisa. I haven't been up Princess Louisa Inlet specifically, but I have spent time in Desolation Sound. If you choose to drive up there, Lund is your launching point. I'm not sure what their launch facilities are, but I would be sure to call ahead, as there is no guarantee they can accomodate you. Again, so many places to visit are coming to mind, but I'm hesitant to make recommendations as I'm afraid I'd leave something out. But for sure visit Squirrel Cove, Refuge Cove, and make the run up to the end of Teakern (sp?) Arm and hike up to the top of the waterfall and swim in the lake. It's been probably 15 years since I was there, but the memory has stuck with me forever. In Desolation sound, marinas are scarce, and fuel is even more scarce. Plan carefully. There aren't a lot of options if you get in trouble as there are basically no people in the area aside from other recreational boaters. Bring mosquito repellant, and be sure to seal up all hatches every night. Once the mosquitos get in the boat, they hide durring the day and will stick around for the entire trip, feasting off your exposed skin at night. This nearly ruined one trip we made up there when I was young. Another, not so pleasant memory that has stuck with me through the years.

Books to pick up:
Do not leave the dock without a book called The Waggoner. It's basically a directory of every marina, bay, island, fuel dock, and harbor in the entire Pacific Northwest from Olympia all the way up to the north end of Vancouver Island. It's a must have.

I don't believe it's in print anymore, but the book Gunkholing in South Puget Sound is a good reference for the South Sound with lots of insider information and background. They say they're updating it, but I haven't seen it yet.

What has been updated is Gunkholing in the San Juans (by the same authors). This book is a must-have for boats spending time in the Islands. They also have one for the Canadian Gulf Islands, but I don't think it's been updated.

A guy name Bill Wolferstan has done a series of books on the Canadian Gullf Islands, The Sunshine Coast, and Desolation Sound. His books are large, descriptive, and have arial photographs of all the bays, harbors, marinas and rapids and come in VERY handy. If you're going north, have them aboard.

Anyway, I've killed an hour of my day, so I'll leave it at that. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. If you do decide to visit Gig Harbor, we own a marina right in downtown and can probably fit you in for a day or two. Although, as long as you don't mind not having power, and there is room, the public dock is even closer to the center of downtown, and is always free for up to (I believe) two nights. Also, the famous Tides Tavern has a public and free dock. Again, I'm sure there are restrictions on how long you can stay, but as long as you're spending money in the bar, I'm sure they'll let you stay there as long as you want.

Return to “Cruising”