• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 32 sportsfisher Questions

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

leeg427

Albin 32 sportsfisher Questions

Post by leeg427 »

Am looking hard at a 1989 32 Sportsfisher--love the look but have a few Questions:
1) How would this boat work in our Hawaiian waters --we have mininimum 4-6ft swell in the channels between islands and it can get 6-10 with cresting seas within the half day. This model has a single engine diesel 250 Cummins with 600hr original and a new V drive.

2) The second owner had the bottom"redone" ie blisters hand ground and epoxy barrier placed. The hull has been nicely painted but the deck has significant gelcoat degredation with lots of "crazing" They are asking $79,000 ---Comments on pricing, bottom issues and deck gel coat redo costs ??

3) Has anyone fitted a fighting chair to this boat and if so what was needed if anything to shore up the cockpit flooring?

4) 1989 Model---- I guess that would make this a balsa cored boat that was not vacuum bagged?

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

I currently have an 18ft Whaler Montauk that we run Oahu to Molokai Penguin Banks and fish. I have 2 engines, but my buddies' wives are starting to get nervous and want me to get a bigger boat.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

If you like the Montauk (I'm assuming it's either a 17' Montauk, or an 18' Outrage, since there is no such thing as an 18' Montauk, but that's just semantics) but want something a little more substantial, I'd step up to a 22' or 25' Boston Whaler Revenge or Outrage, depending on whether or not you want 360 degree fishability or prefer a cuddy cabin. Truth be told, even the Outrage isn't fully fishable due to the Outboards. The only truly 360 degree fishable boat is the new Albin 26' Center Console. But I can see that's probably a little on the high side of the price range. I love Albins. But to be perfectly honest, in the price range I suspect you're considering, I'd feel more comfortable in the open ocean in a classic Whaler than an Albin of that vintage.

The Albin is a much larger and more substantial boat, and will likely ride more comfortably and drier in the swells, but the Whaler, while a little harsh on ride, will never sink from beneath you.

They are very different boats and you should get what meets your needs within your budget.
leeg427

reply to albin v whaler

Post by leeg427 »

Thanks for the info. the price range is < $175k but that is not the real issue. Having been raised on Long Island and spent my teen years fishing off montauk and Block island, I always hoped that I would be able to own an Egg harbor or a Hatteras or betram-- 30 something footer since they seemed so much more substantial than what I was bobbing about in.

We dont fish off the bow out here --too much risk of going over board on a rough day and on a calm day why woul you fight a large fish from anywhere but the cockpit. Stand up ahi rods maybe but you really need somethng to lean your thighs on for good support.

So ---back to the Albins-- would you say they are in the same league as an diesel Egg Harbor from the 1990's on? LG
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Alpinion

Post by AlMar »

Funny you should ask. I own a 32 Sportfisher, and just last week looked at a 35 egg Harbor for a friend. They are both very nice boats, but are VERY different animals. In my humble Albinion, the Egg Harbor is designed as more of a cruising boat that CAN fish. This one had an on deck freezer, enourmous outriggers, a big deck, and NO fishbox! I'm sure this is only one of many configurations, and had gas engines as well, a wider beam and a few thousand pounds heavier (32 vs 35; single engine vs twin). The fit and finish "appeared" to be a bit finer than the Albin, and the interior amenities were designed for a Cruiser. For such a wide beam, the access to the forword deck was usable, but on a rolling pitching deck, not as secure feeling as the Albin, and while the forward deck was not a dome, it wasn't as flat either. I can't speak for the seaworthiness, as we have not yet done a sea trial. What I can say, is the Albin will bring you home! I brought this boat from the Fla keys to the Chesapeake bay in a great variety of conditions, and never once felt threatened. Like many boats, a following sea has you working the wheel, but I cannot relate much to your sea conditions. One last thing, the EH I was on had a VERY tall, bridge. It was like seven steps up the the station. While this gives you some great vision, I don't want to be up there under certain conditions, AND it had no lower station. THe Albin 32 gives great visibility with a much lower center of gravity. Lastly. I would love to have a Cummins, but 250hp seems a bit underpowered. What is it's WOT and cruising speed? Just my Albinion, but I'd have to choose the Albin for fishing.
AlMar
leeg427

Post by leeg427 »

Thank you for your concise opinion re EGG v Albin. Very useful for me to hear this as I have heard some neg things about the Albins from the 1980-1990s re construction layup and general quality. Glad to hear that is not the case.

The 1989 32 sportsfisher I am looking at cruises at 18kt top speed low 20's which is fine with me since I troll 6-12 knots all over anyway.

Any last comments on putting a fighting chair in the 32's cockpit--need any special reconstruction or bracing you think?

Thanks again

LG

Return to “General Discussion”