• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
TomS

Post by TomS »

Hi all,
My wife and I live in central California. Last July we went shopping on the East coast for a 28 Albin te. We made a offer on a boat in Florida. The boat had 560 hrs and is a 1999. We had the boat surveyed and the surveyor found a rattling upon decelaration but was only was able to get it to make the sound twice. We accepted the survey without knowing about the valve problems with the Yanmars. Shortly after that I found the Albin Owners Group website and read the post about the valve problems and the valve seal fix.
In early September We had the boat trucked to California and took posession of it in Alameda. I Heard the valve noise the first time I drove it and called Boatswains Locker and ask them about the valve seals. They directed me to a boatyard in Richmond I took the boat to Richmond in early October. After pulling the head they found witness marks from the valves hitting the pistons, dislodged valve keepers and scaring in one of the cylinders from a posible broken ring.
They Boat Yard contacted Boatswains Locker and sent them pictures of the damage to the Engine. Yanmar agreed to supply a new Long block and pay for most of the Labor to install it.
I finally got to pick up the boat yesterday. I am really grateful to Boatswains Locker and Yanmar for stepping up and taking care of this.
I am also grateful to people like cheifrcd for sharing information or i wouldn't have known to ask them to.

Regards,
Tom
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Hello Tom.

Welcome to the group. I also have a 1999 Albin and keep in Alameda at Grand Marina. The boat had a little over 500 hours on it when I bought it a couple of years ago. It now it has about 780 hours. I haven't had any of the classic signs of the valve issue and my mechanic has not seen or heard anything that indicates I am going to have a problem. I am keeping my my fingers crossed. It's great to hear about your very positive experience with Yanmar and Boatswains Locker.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Tom,
When I bought my Albin I only knew a few things.
1. Great reputation for being sea-worthy.
2. Little pricey compared to the typical family cruiser.
3. Not the best reputation for customer service.
4. My wife likes it!
5. Bad rumors about Peninsular.

I started the board hoping to find out more information about my new boat. The response has been great and I didn't know I had so many Albin neighbors. I learned quite a bit about Albin, Peninsular, and diesels in general. I also learned that, as in any brand-specific group, there are many people, like Chief and Mariner, that are willing to share their knowledge.

This place is definitely worth the price of admission. <smile>
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “New Member Introductions”