• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Waxing vs. ?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Waxing vs. ?

Post by StockHR »

Every spring we spend countless hours cleaning and waxing our boats. On Ship Shape TV they used a product called "Poly Glow." Has anyone used this product in place of waxing their boat? As with a lot of boating products it seems too good to be true. When they finished using it on heavy oxidation it looked teriffic and really shined like new. They also claimed that it will last several seasons. Lastly, if you Google Poly Glow a lot of boaters swear by it. Any comments? Thanks, Mike
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Stock,
Here is a thread from June. Good information here.
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=99
On the second page of the thread is a picture of Tuxedo. Beautiful Albin with Poly-glow. I purchased Poly-Glow last year but never got around to using it. This spring I'll have the time and will post the results. In pictures of my boat you can see that the oxidation is very bad. The previous owner of my boat was meticulous about the engine and interior. But, he was not a "detail guy" when it came to the hull.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rejex

Post by RicM »

There was a big fad around here (RI) for a product called "Rejex". Has anyone tried that?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
TonyAmalfitano

REJEX

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

FOUND THIS WHILE SEARCHING REJEX.
http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

AN OLD SALT ONCE TOLD ME NOT TO USE WAX ON THE BOAT. WAX MELTS IN THE HOT SUN AND STUFF WILL STICK TO IT. HE SAID TO USE A POLYMER POLISH.

FOR THE PRICE OF THIS STUFF IT BETTER GO A LONG WAY AND WORK REAL GOOD!
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rejex

Post by RicM »

I'm planning on buffing out the hull on Phoenix with Dupont "Finesse it" and applying a coat of Rejex some time between now & April in a good weather window. I'll post some before and after pictures. This is what the hull looks like now.....

This side is the worst, as it faced south in the slip.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I am a terrible cynic when it comes to the claims of the manufacturers of marine products, especially bottom paint & protective coatings.

I have not found a bottom coating yet that the Bermuda marine growth has not thrived on. Topside I have tried many waxes & protectants. The bottom line is that most of the time you will get what you pay for. Also there is no easy 'magic' one step product that lasts.

In a way I feel sorry for you guys with the dark hulled boats. They sure look nice all done up but oh the maintenance!

My hull maintenance goes something like this. ASAP after the boat is hauled in Jan it gets an acid wash. 50% muriatic acid & water followed by a good rinsing, a soap (dishwashing liquid) & water wash & another rinse. Next comes a cleaner wax such as 3M cleaner wax. That is it till May when it gets another wash, cleaner waxig followed imediatley with Meguires Flagship wax (expensive stuff). Overboard she goes into very high salt content water. Between May & January the hull gets nothing, usually not even a freshwater hose off. Tough life.

'Veebye's' is 11 years old now & the hull still looks almost new when it hits the water each year. Easy work? No but with the right products & machine it is doable.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Doug,
50/50? Is that for growth or will that work for the oxidation on the dark paint? Have you used it or heard other using it on black? Do you just sponge it on and rinse well?

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Appreciate that I have little colour & it is a band just below the gunnel. Also, inspite of age, the hull is in very good condition. I can't say exactly what it will do to the powdering oxidation on a dark hull. Can't hurt to try on a small area. If it does remove the powdering the compound or cleanerwax step will be made much easier starting with a clean surface.

The acid wash removes anything organic & rust stains from bleeding fittings. The brownish mustash at the bow disappears as does any stain just above the waterline.

It will dribble down over the bottom paint killing off anything organic not cleaned off by the pressure washer & reacting with the copper in the paint. See pic.

No worry. The next coat covers well.

Since the acid is a chemical cleaning, not mechanical in any way I apply it with a roller, short nap & long handle. Roll slowly. You don't want this stuff on your clothes (cotton is organic) or you. Do small sections, 4 or 5 per side & rinse thoroughly after rolling each section, then soap wash & rinse whole hull just to be sure all acid is gone.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “General Discussion”