• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 te with a kicker

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tomcat rio

28 te with a kicker

Post by tomcat rio »

i would think the swim platform might get in the way. notice the two lines in the lower corner...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29251424@N00/368412955/
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Tomcat

I saw the same boat!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 54929&url=

It has a custom swim platform to accomodate the kicker

Interesting setup. Not sure if I like it or not. Nice to have backup though!

Gery
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

That swim platform is a little odd. That boat is a definite fishing boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Kickers are a necessity for salmon fishing here, as the big diesels push the boats much to quickly at idle for trolling. Most boats that size carry a kicker.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuel

Post by RicM »

How do you feed the kicker? Red tank on the deck? I'm thinking about a trolling valve for striped bass.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Rick, generally, yes. Many people strap the tank securely to the swim platform.

I keep hoping that Yanmar will put some money into making their line of diesel outboards legal for sale in the US and we can install one with a line fed directly from the diesel tanks.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

legal outboards

Post by RicM »

Are the diesel outboards big money? Can you buy them in other countries and ship them? Not that I would break the law, but.......
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I know you can get them brand new in Australia. I would imagine there are other places you can get them as well. I doubt there would be all that much of a problem shipping it to the US, but it might not be cheap.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

If you're looking for a kicker just to troll, you'd be ahead of the game to by installing a trolling valve, if you have the right tranny. Kickers require mounting them, maintenance and gasoline. I honestly can't imagine mounting a small outboard on my 28....I personally think it really looks terrible on such a beautifully designed boat. I had a Catalina 25 with a outboard engine and in the 7 years I owned it, I don't think I ever looked at a profile view and didn't think how much I hated the look of that engine mounted on the back of my boat.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Cheif,

I agree, except that, if a trolling valve is available for our tranny, it would be very expensive and virtually impossible to install (V-drive). A kicker a lot easier to install and much cheaper, and doesn't have to always be on the boat. Also a trolling valve can't act as a get-home power source.

The solution for many people is to mount their dinghy on snap davits and use the outboard on the dinghy as a kicker by rotating it sideways. This is what we did on our last boat and it worked wonderfully.

I've been looking for ways to move the boat at a low speed using the power generated by the generator. It seems like a small AC powered motor, or belt drive turning the propeller would work, but there's nothing commercially available to do that. You'd have to design and build it yourself. There are some DC electric outboards out there, but no AC ones. There is a hydraulic system that you can use to turn the propeller using a pump driven off the generator, but that requires a lot of upgrades and changes, and is rather expensive. Besides, in our boat, it wouldn't fit on the very short section of exposed propeller shaft underneath the engine.

I honestly believe there is a market out there for an AC driven outboard. Any cruiser with a diesel generator would probably prefer that to carrying a gas outboard and seperate fuel tanks.

Return to “General Discussion”