• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

paint job

tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

paint job

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there 40 NSC owners! I just had Blue Moon hauled out this past week to get the bottom painted (well overdue). A good time for an inspection...I noticed that we had a bit of fiber glass that had broken off around where the shafts are mounted to the bottom. According to the glass man, it was nothing structural, but needed to be repaired. So done. Zincs replaced.
While I was there looking the boat over., the detailer was polishing up a boat next to ours. He came over and buffed up a spot on Blue Moon and it just sparkled! Ok, I said. I'm hooked. If you have time, go for it. Went back a few days later, it was gorgeous!
This is where it got interesting. I told him it looked great and thanked him. He proceeded to tell me that in all the years he has been working on boats, this was THE hardest one he has ever buffed and waxed. He said "it's not gelcoat or awlgrip. It's just.....well, a super hard finish. Nothing like I've seen before. I overheated my buffer several times while working on it." He was very impressed with it.

So, do any of you know just what this mystery finish is?

Hope all are enjoying a great summer. Blue Moon is still for sale....a few tire kickers...but no takers!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Re: paint job

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Hey Tom, I had some of the same issue where the struts were mounted or glassed to hull, there were some rough areas around the bolts. The surveyor and my yard manager said not to worry not a problem there was no evidence of anything getting in and the key was that the bolts were solid !! I tried to cosmetically fix them up a little with 5200.

Regarding the hull glad it is nice and shiny, mine was awl gripped so it is a different finish. The super structure was not and is gelcoat. I had a little cosmetic work done last year and the guy commented on the thick gelcoat, he likened it to the older Vikings when they thought more was better!!

Hope your sale prospects pick up! Blue Moon looks good in the pictures I checked you out on Yachtworld. There is a 2008, "new" one for sale in NJ. Some upgrades like Volvo diesels, electroninc controls, etc they are asking $315,000! listed at Redline Marine.

Good luck , Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Re: paint job

Post by tbnolin »

Hey there Craig!!! Thanks for the feed back. Hated to put her back in the water and get all grungy again. Sounds like all of you had a good time at the rendezvous. The summer down here is, well, typical. Upper 80's low 90's with your pop up t-storms in the afternoon. Probably head out for a few hours this week sometime...that's a way of keeping a build up from happening on a fresh bottom paint. Thanks again,

Take Care,
Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”