• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Desolation Sound

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Desolation Sound

Post by joreyn »

Just got back from a three week cruise to Desolation Sound in British Columbia. Great Cruise!

After attending the Pacific NW rendezvous, we left Anacortes and went 40 miles to Bedwell Harbor on South Pender Island in BC. This is a pretty place, and is also a good place to clear customs. Quite a few boats waiting to get on the customs dock, and by the time our turn came, we had decided to just spend the night there. You can view a picture of Poet's Cove Resort in Bedwell at http://www.poetscove.com/site/photo-gallery.html.

Next day we went another 40 miles to Ladysmith. Its a very cute little town on a nice harbor that is well protected. This is a good place to provision. Stayed at the Maritime Society Wharf, which features a very nice facility including a maritime museum.

Next day we crossed the Starights of Georgia after clear Dodd Narrows at slack. Here is the amazing part. I've never seen the sttraights in dead calm conditions. In fact, I just assume we are going to get beat crossing the straights, where typically the winds oppose the current creating steep and tightly spaced chop. This time, they were like glass! Made landfall just south of Secret Cove on the mainland side. After a brief leg stretch we continued on to Pender Harbor and stayed at Fisherman's Resort. (Contiued in next post).
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Cruising”