• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Best way to sell my Albin

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Best way to sell my Albin

Post by SCHUTZEE »

:(

I looks like I may have to sell Anne Rose. It just costs too much to justify considering the amount of use I get here in the northeast. Even if we have a great summer weather wise, there is always something else competing with boating.

I would prefer to sell without a broker to maximize my bottom line. Is this foolish?

Other than buying Anne Rose four years ago, I have no experience in watercraft transactions. I appreciate any advice

:cry:
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Seven years ago we bought our Albin direct from the owner. The only third party involved was the sellers bank who as Notary Public signed a document stating that the boat was free of any liens. Nice, neat & clean.

Likewise we recently bought an RV, truck & trailer together. No broker. Again, an agreement between the seller & us & a document from the sellers banker verifying the the RV was his free & clear.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

If it were me, I'd list it with a broker just so it'll get listed on Yachtworld.com, but otherwise, try to negotiate it as cheap as possible. The market for used Albins tends to span state lines and local markets, so any local advertising that a broker may do is pretty much a waste of money. All you care about is getting it listed on Yachtworld so that buyers across the country will see that it is for sale and have a point of contact.

Other than that, their services are not needed, so long as you have time to give sea trials and weed out the lookey-loos.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Just to add, you may try listing it here for a month or two first, just to see if you get any bites. Be sure to give a detailed description and take lots of good quality pictures.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Bob - I hate to hear that, it's been good having you as a fellow owner. Maybe you'll reconsider when the weather gets warm.

As for selling, try ByOwnerYachts.Com. He offers a 3% plan that gets you listed in Yacht Trader, Soundings, Boat Trader and the like.

The fellow, Jim, posts regularly on TheHullTruth and seems a straight shooter. I've bought electronics from his other venture, ByOwnerElectronics.Com with good results.

Keep us posted.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Schutzee,
First - Don't sell. Of course that's easy for us to say. If the reason is financial, do it. You can always buy another one.
If the reason is time, family and other considerations you may change your mind when warm weather comes around. I will agree that some of my friends and family just look at me a shake their head. Owning and operating a boat is just crazy to some folks. But to "us boaters" it's a way of life. As I mentioned in another post. I just tell my friends and family "no weddings, parties, or funerals from May-Sept." Even after 25 years it's a challenge for my wife. She is truly an "admiral" when comes to putting up with my hobby.

Second - If you do sell you have the advantage of owning a brand that is great for resale. There is an active market and Albins generally sell above book value. As others have mentioned if you don't have the time to "sell" your boat then turn it over to a broker. Take your time in deciding which one to use, discuss your expections with the broker and be sure to follow up. The contract I signed for my last boat was for 90 days. After that it was month-to-month and I could pull out anytime. If during that period of time I sold the boat the broker still got half commission. I ended up listing on Ebay after 6 months. The broker still got his 5% less Ebay and bank fees. Not bad considering it sat on his land for all that time.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

John,

It is strictly a financial decision. I'll be paying for college for two kids in the near future. Unlike the government, I can't spend more than I make. Something has to go, and prudence dictates that it be my beloved Albin rather than my retirement contributions!
Last edited by SCHUTZEE on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hmmm....do kids really need to go to college? <just kidding>

Post your boat in our For Sale section. Good luck and you don't have to own a boat to hang around here. You could fly a burgee from your car antenna.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

John,

I just noticed that the Albin in the logo looks alot like Anne Rose. Perhaps with all the royalties I can keep her! :D

Bob
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Bob,

Really sorry to hear you're selling the boat. I must confess I was hoping to 'run into' you in the Sand hole over the summer and get my wife to look over a 31TE.

Can you hold out a couple of years and give me a great deal in 2009? :D

Best of luck with the sale!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Schutzee,

Yes it is your boat!

Hope you don't mind it being used for this.

Such a beautiful boat, I thought - perfect for a Valentines Day banner!

Sorry you have to sell her!

Gery Garcia
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

I don't mind a bit! Feel free to use the pictures anytime.

Return to “General Discussion”