• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Labor Day Weekend on Quest

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Labor Day Weekend on Quest

Post by loubennett »

I was drafted to help the Eastport Yacht Club Race Committee for the Annapolis Race Week Regatta last weekend. I have worked several regattas over the summer on other boats and used Quest as committee boat for several Friday Night Beer Can Races, but this was the first time we used Quest as the committee boat for a major regatta. It was an interesting weekend. Left my dock at about 7:15am Saturday, Sunday and Monday to be at the EYC dock before 8. Saturday was loading the boat with all of the reace committee equipment (including cannon on the foredeck) and getting out to the race course by 10. Same drill Sunday and Monday mornings, except the equipment was left on board overnight. We had the race course with the J105's, J80's, and J30's. On Saturday we managed to get in three races. Sunday was a no wind day on the Bay, so no reaces were posibble and we came in early. On Monday there was good air. In the first race, a squall came through during the race that made for some exciting sailing. Happlily our anchor held throughout the sqaull with 25 knot winds and 3-4 foot waves. We were anchored in about 35 feet of water with 3 to 1 scope, so I was a little nervous. It then settled down and we got in two more races. Each evening there was a regatta party at City Dock with awards, a band, and free drinks and food for the race committee. After the party it was get Quest home before dark and rest up for the next day. All in all a great weeked. Lots of racing, parties, and comoraderie with fellow yacht club memebers and sailors.

I haven't heard of many AOG members who support sailboat regattas. It's a good way to use your boat to help others enjoy their on-water activities. Most Yacht Club Race Committes are always looking for boats to use. It's a good way to spend time on the boat. Most clubs will help with the fuel cost and you normally get into the post race party free. In larger regattas you'll also get shirts and hats. Below, Ive posted some links to the Spinsheet website with a few pictures of Quest rigged for race committee.

This is Quest on the first day of Race Week http://www.spinsheet.com/ss-photos

These are Quest when it was used by my son to support the Luekemia Cup J80 Fun Race earlier in the summer http://www.spinsheet.com/ss-photos http://www.spinsheet.com/ss-photos

Jut to explain. During the Luekemia Cup Regatta, the J80 Fleet and EYC run a fun race for the Luekemia kids. They put the kids on board and do some sailboat racing. Also boats take the parents out on the water to watch.

Oops, the link don't do what I wanted. They don't get you to the specific pictures. They do get you to the Spinsheet Photo Gallery. From there click on 2012 events. Then click on Race Week Day 1 and page through the photos until you see an Albin 28. Also click on Luekemia Cup J80 Fun Race. the pictures of Quest are on the first page of photos. I would post copies of the picture here, but I think that would violate Spinsheet's copyright.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Labor Day Weekend on Quest

Post by jcollins »

Nice write up Lou. Found your picture
http://spinsheet.smugmug.com/SpinSheet/ ... -162-L.jpg
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Nice Lou!

I'm hoping to be out doing RC duty both this weekend and next. Small SIYC club race on Sunday and then the Long Island Sailing Fleet the following Saturday.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

This weekend is our angler's club women and children annual fishing tournament, TR is booked both days with friends and family. The highlight is always the kid's eel race at the Sunday afternoon picnic, it's like a baton relay race but with live eel's instead of the baton. I don't know who it's worse for; the eels or the parents that have to ride home with the kids in the car!
Last edited by RobS on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Doug, glad to hear someone else is using there boat to support sailboat racing. It's a different activity than the normal fishing or cruising we all enjoy. As a former sailor I find it fun. I love sailboat racing and they have some really good parties after the race.

Rob, it's great to support any water activity for the kids. Somehow kids that are raised around the water turn out OK. Also, they are the ones who will buy our boats when we are done with them.

My son was raised on the water. His first sailboat ride was at 2 months old. Actually, we're pretty sure he was conceived on a sailboat. It shows. He has become a very good sailor and a sought after crew on racing boats in the Annapolis area. It's really a great experience that develops confidence and self sufficiency. I always thought I was a good sailor, but he's better. He also drives Quest better than me. I'll continue to support the sailors in any way I can. It's fun and in my blood.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “Cruising”