• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steel Hers 1st Cruise

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

Chris & Dale

Steel Hers 1st Cruise

Post by Chris & Dale »

Well all the months of preperation (enclosure, batteries, inverter, etc) culminated last week when Dale pulled Steels Hers out of the slip in Southport, NC and we headed south, well initially it was west towards Myrtle Beach. We were following our best friends in their 43' Jefferson C-Life as they began their "snow birder" journey south to a new destination of Fort Myers, Fl. (usually Marathon Key).

1st night we spent in Osprey Marina in Myrtle Beach, SC. This is an excellent little marina, with very friendly and helpful staff, ultra clean bathhouses, and the best diesel prices in SC. An excellent meal of Dale's Mexican Lasagna and libation ended a perfect day. Next morning we were off for a short day to Georgetown where we laid up at Harborwalk Marina, also clean and hospitible. A close walk to downtown, a bite to eat, and an evening of Phase 10 cards on their sundeck. Does life get much better?

Next day off to Charleston. This was a long run at 7.5 knots average (our run home would be quicker) and as the day went by it drizzled, was chilly, and the wind picked up. The enclosure paid for itself and a small electric heater off the inverter close to the pilot house and we were very comfortable. We stayed at the Charleston Maritime Center close to the Acquarium. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have been too back, but we were at the end of the long finger pier directly in front of the entrance and that night there was a strong east wind. There were several occassions during the night that the combination of passing container ships and the east wind slammed us into the dock, so there wasn't much sleep. Into Charleston the next day for a little walk around and bite to eat at Tommy Condons Irish Pub and then back to the boat. The next night there was calmer and more enjoyable, and some sleep was had.

The next morning was sad as we headed back to Southport and Robert & Kay continued their journey south. We had a great 7 hour run back to Osprey Marina. There's actually a little Italian restaurant that will come pick you up and bring you back to the marina for free, which we did. The food was superb, of which I ate too much.... The next morning a leasurely 5 hour run into Southport and home. We learned a lot about what we need and don't need on the boat, packing, the need for addition storage to remove clutter, etc. One interesting note: I took the advice of someone on this site and cut a memory foam pad for the v-berth, which when coupled w/taping the 2 table cushions together (on the backside), kept everything in place and we didn't feel the table trim rail at all. Overall, an excellent 1st cruise for us.

Only regrets: we forgot to take pictures and the only one we have Robert & Kay took as we left Charleston Maritime Center to head home, which I've enclosed.
Leaving Charleston.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Steel Hers 1st Cruise

Post by RobS »

Thanks for sharing.
Chris & Dale wrote:There were several occassions during the night that the combination of passing container ships and the east wind slammed us into the dock, so there wasn't much sleep.
I would have moved and spent the night on the hook and got my money back but then again down there slips are usually what a $1 a foot?
Chris & Dale wrote: The food was superb, of which I ate too much....
:wink:

We have done a lot of these type trips and thoroughly enjoy it, with the exception of the daily table up, table down bed making routine. The mornings ain't bad, setting it up for a nice breakfast.....But it's the late nights, after a nice dinner and too many drinks draggin' ass back to the boat, look down into the cabin and think, is there any way we can just sleep "around" that stupid table.. :roll: I guess MORE drinks could solve that problem.. :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Chris & Dale wrote: We learned a lot about what we need and don't need on the boat, packing, the need for addition storage to remove clutter, etc. One interesting note: I took the advice of someone on this site and cut a memory foam pad for the v-berth, which when coupled w/taping the 2 table cushions together (on the backside), kept everything in place and we didn't feel the table trim rail at all. Overall, an excellent 1st cruise for us.
I'm thrilled that you had a great 1st trip. As I'm packing for a ski trip heading north, I can only think that I'd rather be you!

The packing thing and what to bring and not bring gets easier after finding out what you don't use and do. I did enjoy your posts regarding the storage shelving under the dinette seats. I can only imagine that it makes things a bit neater. I will share something that I did learn from Dave and Ann aboard HideAweigh at a NE Rendezvous years ago ... the admiral and myself each get one small basket to be placed on the shelf either side of where you have the television .. 1 basket each and that's the limit on clothing. Of course there is some limited space for rain gear and a fleece for each of us in the hanging locker, but if you can't fit it in the basket it does not make the trip whether it's for 2 nights or 10! This was the best packing and storage advice ever for our trips aboard our 28TE.
RobS wrote: We have done a lot of these type trips and thoroughly enjoy it, with the exception of the daily table up, table down bed making routine. The mornings ain't bad, setting it up for a nice breakfast.....But it's the late nights, after a nice dinner and too many drinks draggin' ass back to the boat, look down into the cabin and think, is there any way we can just sleep "around" that stupid table.. :roll: I guess MORE drinks could solve that problem.. :D
You can say that again!!! :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Well, we were travelling w/another boat and their company was worth it. Not moving in the dark and trying to set the hook in unknown waters for sure. I should have had them move me to a more protected slip, but we thought it would lay down. Charleston was about $1.75 per foot. We actually put the bed down the 1st night and left it. With the full enclosure that becomes our living room and we really love it out there. We each hang our foul weather jackets on hooks on the wire chase panels just behind our pilot house chairs. We are going to get some better chairs & 2 folding tables. I like the idea of the boxes to limit packing. I'm certain this will be a continuing learning process for us. Thanks
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Your trip brought back some great memories of our trip last year. We spent a couple days in Myrtle Beach and a few days in Charleston....fun times!! You need to continue south next time and enjoy the winter a bit further south then Charleston!! It only gets better!Are your friends cutting across Florida via the East/West ICW? If so, I'll keep an eye out for C-Life as they motor by our place.
Thanks for sharing your trip!
Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Tom,
They'll be cutting across Lake Okachobee(?) to Ft. Meyers. Not sure when. Great people! Robert & Kay Creech.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Yep....they'll be going right past our place. St Lucie River, South Fork. About a half mile past the Monterry Bridge (River Watch Marina on the port side). We're in a community called Riverland right on the water, port side.
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Chris & Dale wrote:We stayed at the Charleston Maritime Center close to the Acquarium. Under normal circumstances it wouldn't have been too back, but we were at the end of the long finger pier directly in front of the entrance and that night there was a strong east wind. There were several occassions during the night that the combination of passing container ships and the east wind slammed us into the dock, so there wasn't much sleep.
The Maritime Center is pretty wide open and unprotected. A better alternative would have been to go around the peninsula and stop at the Ashley River Marina or City Marina. City Marina has a shuttle to downtown, West Marine and the grocery store.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I know we'll be going back, so City Marina sounds good, particularly since we love downtown. Thanks Tom
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thanks for sharing your journey. It's a good read when our boat is on the hard.
Once we make up the bed, we don't go through the "table-up, table-down" routine until we get back home. The engine box makes a great luncheon table.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by kathylsails »

Looks like a fun trip! If I ever retire, I would love to do a similar journey.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “Cruising”