• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2000 36' Express Trawler in Monterey, CA

BrettBowyer
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Huntington Beach

2000 36' Express Trawler in Monterey, CA

Post by BrettBowyer »

I am considering the purchase of a boat called Waterboy in Monterey. It was damaged in the Gulf Storms of 2006, hull repaired, and has been in Monterey since 2007. Has twin Yanmar 6LP-STE's, which may or may not have had the valve replacement job that was a subject to a class action law suit on these engines.

Anyway from reading the posts from this group, sounds like the other issues might be keel/prop vibration (might not apply to twin engine boat, I'm not sure) and a rainwater leak from the starboard flybridge into the galley.

Any other things to look out for on this boat that the group can pass along? I'm looking at cruising it from Monterey to Huntington Beach where we live after the purchase, so any tips on that would be appreciated as well.
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: 2000 36' Express Trawler in Monterey, CA

Post by marko »

For twins, I don't believe that there is any prop / keel vibration issue from experience and reading. Also, the draft for twins is less than a single. The rainwater leak can happen from either side, where the pvc pipe wire chases are behind the access ports and water shifts aft while moving underway. I think you've already seen the threads in here. The only other big issue that I encountered were old shaft seals that went out on the first post purchase trip for my 2001 ET.
BrettBowyer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by BrettBowyer »

Thanks for the reply. Glad you like your boat. Looks like a lot of fun, and am looking forward to completing this purchase.
tab
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater Maryland

Post by tab »

Keystone is 2003, on the Chesapeake Bay. I have had her 2 years. Main issue has indeed been the rain water leak. Water came down at interior helm, and in aft wall of cabin, into the electrical panel. I had a cover made for the fly bridge to prevent when at pier. When underway, I just cover the aft seat and on the fly bridge, directly in front of the mast. These measures have prevented further water intrusion unless maybe gale force winds. We wouldn't trade her for anything else afloat though.
One of my biggest gripes is apparently no overall owner's manual came with these boats. I am retiring in a few months and am considering writing one for my individual boat. I think it would be a way to get me to crawl over and get a good feel for every system.
Enjoy Waterboy.
TAB
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

Huge asking price drop on her! If I hadn't made an offer and was getting ready for the survey on Indigo, I would have gone down to look at Waterboy.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Need to diligently keep the drain holes clear. I made a little riser around the wire race just in case, but main thing is check the drain. There are access ports for that. Drains clog easily.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point, California

Post by Lenovo »

Best wishes on your evaluation of the boat in Monterey. As with any boat purchase it is important to engage a highly qualified surveyor to evaluate the boat. With a boat that has sustained a degree of storm damage this is exceedingly important. Should you determine to purchase the boat there would now be two express trawlers in Orange County.
Later last year I purchased a 2001 express trawler with the same engine configuration. It is docked in Dana Point Harbor.
Tony
BrettBowyer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by BrettBowyer »

Thanks all for the replies. Found out both engines have some maintenance and repair issues. Doing final surveys Monday. Trying to work it out with seller. I'd hate to walk away, because the ET's look like great boats. Hopefully I'll be joining you all as a new owner soon.
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Whittier, Alaska

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Bummer on the Water Boy, but thanks for the info.
On the issue of fly bridge drainage...
Mine has double 3/4" holes drilled by the previous owner, directly above the original drain clam shells (aft outboard corner on each side of FB). The new, larger holes seem to pass the dog hair and other junk that clogged the original drains. Also, there are thin openings in each corner of the inside wall of the fly bridge that pass the water off the deck and down into the drains. Have to keep these clear too. I've not had any drainage issues under my ownership, so would recommend this modification for anyone who has had this issue.
2004 Albin 36 ET "EvenTide"
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

The extra holes sounds like a good idea.

Even keeping the drains open, I would have problems with the people who were cleaning the boat for me. They liked to use a lot of water - in effect a pressure washer - and they just flooded the flybridge.

Now, if I hire someone to clean up, I tell them to use mops, not hoses.

Any chance you could post a picture showing the holes and their location? Also, are the holes trimmed in some manner?
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AK_Albin36 »

Drain Holes.jpg
Not the best picture, but the two holes in the center of this photo are the new drains. Have not yet put a clam shell over them, but will someday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by arcticspud »

AK_Albin36 wrote:
Drain Holes.jpg
Not the best picture, but the two holes in the center of this photo are the new drains. Have not yet put a clam shell over them, but will someday.

I notice you have a railing around the hardtop. What do you use that area for? Sundeck/pads?
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
AK_Albin36
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AK_Albin36 »

She came from the factory with railing around the hardtop. I mainly use it for kayak storage. Without a mid-span support it was a bit springy when walking up there, so I added a stainless post on the aft edge, centerline. Bottom mount is on the transom. Stiffens the roof up nicely.
Single Cat 3126B 450
Whittier, Alaska
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by arcticspud »

Ours has a similar support but ours is connected to the dinghy crane.
Last edited by arcticspud on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA
BrettBowyer
Swabby
Swabby

Post by BrettBowyer »

Greetings,
Worked out repair allowance and bought Waterboy last week. I'm in the process of setting up transport to Huntington Beach and engine service. One turbo is locked up, but other than that it looks like major service is all we will need. Also going to paint as gel coat is gone. Name changed to Shadowfax. Hope to have her in the water by May. Thanks for the input.

Return to “36' Express Trawler, 40' North Sea Cutter, 26' Center Console”